PDA

View Full Version : Raccoon

Bob Decker
03-17-2010, 09:51 PM
I was out in the kayak this afternoon and beached the boat for a walk on a little island known for holding Banks Ponies and quite a variety of birds. I was a bit surprised on the walk back to my boat to spy a very, very large raccoon walking my way out in the open. I managed to move forward a bit without it spotting me. A couple moments later a red fox charged the raccoon, rammed and/or bit it and they took off into the brush. Unfortunatley I didn't get a good shot of the action, but it was interesting to see.

Canon 40D, Bigma @500mm, handheld, iso 1250, 1/1000, f/5.6. Raw conversion in CS3 Bridge. Sharpening, despeckled, and noise reduction in Photoshop + a curves adjustment and a touch of dodging on the highlights in the eyes.

Alfred Forns
03-17-2010, 11:21 PM
Hi Bob Sure wish you could have nailed the confrontation !!! Nice raccoon, I like the spot it was captured, works well in the clear patch !!! Loose framing showing some of the environment makes a pleasing image, I like it a lot !!!

Lance Peters
03-17-2010, 11:39 PM
Hi Bob - Like this a lot - love the direct stare and eye contact.
Nice monochromatic feel.
Good show.

Peter Farrell
03-18-2010, 08:19 AM
Nice image, Bob. A rare find in daylight. I agree with Alfred, this was a nice spot to capture him in.

Bob Decker
03-18-2010, 08:19 AM
Hi Bob Sure wish you could have nailed the confrontation !!! Nice raccoon, I like the spot it was captured, works well in the clear patch !!! Loose framing showing some of the environment makes a pleasing image, I like it a lot !!!

I had no idea the fox was there until he ran out and attacked the raccoon. I did get a reasonably in-focus shot immediately following the "hit" when they both realized I was there. Not spectacular but here it is:

Peter Farrell
03-18-2010, 08:24 AM
Thats cool, the racoon sure looks startled.

Dave Mills
03-18-2010, 11:46 AM
Hi Bob, Good capture of the racoon for reasons stated above.I like the fact that you offset the composition...