PDA

View Full Version : RWBB at Sunset

Steve Canuel
03-17-2010, 05:21 PM
Got this one a couple of evenings ago. Wish the BG cattails went all the way across. Fill flash also would've helped but I don't use/own one. BG is frozen pond and its impossible to get to the sunlit side at this spot. Still, I liked the pose, light, and perch. 40D, 400DO + 1.4xTC, f10 (forgot to adjust after shooting with 2xTC), 1/160s,
ISO 800, +1/3 EC, tripod mount, cropped a bit from top, bottom, and left.

Fabs Forns
03-17-2010, 05:48 PM
Not bad considering all the info, you got pretty nice blacks, wish you could open them a bit more on the back of his head and hip (do birds have hips???)
Love the singing pose and perch and nice light in the eye too. TFS.

Richard Stern
03-17-2010, 08:33 PM
Sorry to be a bit negative, but actually I find the bird a bit confusing - it's difficult to sort out what's what, and I wish that somehow the eye could stand out more from the head plumage. I know it's very hard - black eye on black plumage! I also find the orange mass above the bird a bit distracting. But the pose, open bill and the placement of the bird are nice, and the details of the wood perch are beautiful.

Richard

Steve Canuel
03-17-2010, 10:18 PM
... (do birds have hips???)

Only the shapely ones!

Steve Canuel
03-17-2010, 10:26 PM
Richard,
No problems with a negative post, I appreciate the comments and it's always good to hear other's opinions. I do wonder about your comments about the bird being "confusing" though. On my monitor I can clearly see the pupil and the leading edges of the top of the shoulder and the wing.

Nate Chappell
03-18-2010, 12:16 AM
I like your comp here Steve, I agree with your assessment that some fill would have helped here.

Stu Bowie
03-18-2010, 12:30 AM
I can clearly see the detail in the blacks Steve, and I like the singing pose. The space in front works well, and the just love the colours of the BG.

Richard Stern
03-18-2010, 09:38 AM
Hi again,

I think that what makes the image a bit confusing to me is the rather high dynamic range on the bird, with the eye drawn to the lighter parts, e.g. the shoulder, breast, and parts of the head and face, whereas the eye, which should be the most prominent, isn't. I enclose a repost, which - I'm not saying it's in any way a better image than your original, at least explains what I mean. I just did a bit of selecting, and fiddling about with dodging, burning and levels in PS Elements 6.

Hope you don't mind a rather subjective opinion from a non-expert.

Richard

Myer Bornstein
03-18-2010, 09:47 AM
I would like to see the eye better and would change the deeper blue in the upper BG by cloning in the brown

Steve Canuel
03-18-2010, 06:45 PM
Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions.

Richard,
Thanks for the explanation and the repost. I now understand your comments. Appreciate hearing your opinions, even if you aren't an expert ;).