03-17-2010, 04:19 PM
Canon EOS REBEL T1i
Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro
Av mode
1/4"
F8
ISO: 100
LR & CS3

I went with the tight square crop because the bugs are on the corner of the brick and they fit exactly within a square. To make this fit under the 200kb limit I had to save it at a quality of only 5.

Ken Childs
03-17-2010, 04:25 PM
I applied a polarizing action to this one to see what it would do to those bright areas. It helps but it also gooses the colors a lot so they look nice but unnatural. In addition to any critiques, please let me know which version you like better.

I hope this is OK to do. :)

Markus Jais
03-17-2010, 04:53 PM
Funny shot. The title of your post describes this perfectly. I like the square crop and the tight composition.
The repost is even better.

Markus

Randy Stout
03-17-2010, 08:53 PM
Ken:

I think the bolder colors of the second version strengthen you title theme, look more painted, metal like.

I want to have a bit more room, just a sliver on all sides, but perhaps that would reduce the sense of crowding and weaken the theme. Interesting one to ponder, for sure.

Cheers

Randy

Mike Moats
03-17-2010, 09:01 PM
Hey Ken, cool name for this group. Nice details and pattern. Like the second post better.

Vida van der Walt
03-18-2010, 01:04 AM
Another great title and fun shot Ken.:) Like the detail and colours in this. I find the different patterns of this species very interesting. I also prefer the 2nd post. How do you apply the polarizing action?

Desmond Chan
03-18-2010, 02:27 AM
Very cute ! The second post does look more solid to me.

Stuart Frohm
03-18-2010, 06:29 AM
Although the second version is a richer image, I respect the more true-to-life version. If you could selectively darken the brick while leaving the insects' colors alone, that'd be the best of both worlds for me. (Frankly, the most marked difference in color I saw is the insect at lower right.)
Thanks for posting these. They're a treat — as is the "VW" photo, posted earlier.

Ken Childs
03-18-2010, 07:24 AM
How do you apply the polarizing action?
Vida, I'm using the one by Denny Tang found here. http://tinyurl.com/ybm9tt6

I see now that the one by Corey Raymond has a better rating so I may have to give that one a try. PM me if you have any questions about installation or usage.

Ken Childs
03-18-2010, 04:00 PM
Vida, I'm using the one by Denny Tang found here. http://tinyurl.com/ybm9tt6

I see now that the one by Corey Raymond has a better rating so I may have to give that one a try. PM me if you have any questions about installation or usage.
I just took a closer look and realized that the action by Corey Raymond is based on the tutorial by Denny Tang and it is the action I've been using for years.

Roman Kurywczak
03-18-2010, 06:38 PM
Hey Ken,
Ah....polarising action. Imo in this case there is no substitute for the real thing! A polariser in the field would remove the glare (it does in waterfalls and water highlights on the rocksall the time!)...although this will kill the SS...but just pump the ISO a touch. Perhaps a hair more room but the grouping is pretty cool.

Randy Stout
03-18-2010, 07:21 PM
Hey Ken,
Ah....polarising action. Imo in this case there is no substitute for the real thing! A polariser in the field would remove the glare (it does in waterfalls and water highlights on the rocksall the time!)...although this will kill the SS...but just pump the ISO a touch. Perhaps a hair more room but the grouping is pretty cool.

Roman:

This last line about "perhaps a hair more room" makes me wonder, who are you, and what have you done with the real Roman!

Cheers

Randy

Charles Wesley
03-19-2010, 08:50 AM
Ken,

Cute photo here. Like the saturated colors on the second one. I leave my polariser at home all too often.
Thanks for sharing...

Ken Childs
03-19-2010, 09:02 AM
I leave my polariser at home all too often.
I wish I had a polariser to leave at home. :)

Charles Wesley
03-19-2010, 09:15 AM
Ken,

Don't know how long it would take to find them...