PDA

View Full Version : laysan Albatros beak- Sand Island, Midway Atoll

Steve Bein
03-17-2010, 03:35 PM
While this is not a whole bird, remnants of birds were visible, but pretty scarce considering there were over a million live laysans at Midway. I only found a few intact beaks and only one complete skull/beak combo. This was found near the main runway on Sand Island at a location called Bulky Dump, which is near where we found the one short tailed albatross on Sand Island. I have no clue as to how they named the area and think it is best not to speculate.<:-)
I placed the beak on a weathered support post and the dark part of the background is another one with some rust marks. All in all, if you can, see Midway, it is one of those once in a lifetime experiences.
7D, 100-400 about 275mm

Arthur Morris
03-17-2010, 05:39 PM
Hey Steve, I like the beak and the post but the dark rusty area detracts from the image for me. The second week was even better than the first. I made it home late this afternoon:)

Fabs Forns
03-17-2010, 06:00 PM
Looking at the thumbnail I though it was a bird stretching :)
Very original presentation. You can lighten the dark area easily.
Glad to see you posting, it looks like you had a good time.

Jory Griesman
03-17-2010, 10:12 PM
Interesting. Gives me a much better (and surprising) idea of how large this albatross actually is. I did not appreciate this from the great images that Artie has posted.

Steve Bein
03-18-2010, 03:13 AM
Artie, Welcome home. How was the second week better? Should we reschedule again. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Regards,
Steve

Arthur Morris
03-18-2010, 08:08 AM
The second week was actually better than the first :) In part because I got to know the place better. The beach in front of the Clipper House turned out to be great for sunset as I had surmised. :)

I am going to try to arrange a two week trip late next April that would feature tropicbird and White Tern chicks in addition to the Albatrosses. :)