PDA

View Full Version : Algonquin Gray Jay.

Daniel Cadieux
03-17-2010, 04:52 AM
I managed to go out to Algonquin Park with fellow BPNer Stephen Stephen on Monday. Bird-wise it was very quiet, but a couple of Gray Jays came in for some good opportunities. This one was attratcted out of the thick stuff with some food (Gray Jays will eat out of your hand). With most of the Park's birds banded I was happy this guy crouched low on the perch to hide its banded legs:).

Canon 40D + 100-400L @375mm, aperture priority, evaluative metering, 1/160s., f/6.3, ISO 640, +1 EC, natural light, handheld, full-frame. I will re-visit the image to possibly smooth out the OOF pine needle cluster between bird and right edge (strapped for time for now...)

Stu Bowie
03-17-2010, 06:38 AM
Good angle here Dan, and I like the "fluffyness" of the chest plumage. Interesting colours in the BG, and I would maybe take away the small branch LRC.

Randy Stout
03-17-2010, 07:11 AM
Dan:

Excellent exposure in challenging lighting conditions. Sharp.

Normally I would prefer the BG to not be quite so bright, esp. on the left side of the frame, but the good exposure on the bird helps.

I agree about smoothing the pine needles, and with Stuart about the stick in LRC.

Cheers

Randy

Judy Lynn Malloch
03-17-2010, 08:31 AM
I find this a very artistic presentation and very lovely. Almost as if it had been painted. Like this a lot and think you did well under challenging lighting. algonquin is a beautiful part of Canada and would love to get back there one day. thanks for sharing daniel.

Kaustubh Deshpande
03-17-2010, 11:11 AM
Daniel, interesting bokeh. liked it. The image stabilization helped. wish my lens had it. Do you think there is a color cast? I am bad with that. Love this bird. I had seen lots of them on my Banff trip.

I think it needs a round of NR on BG...but not sure how that will change the bokeh.

Simon Bennett
03-17-2010, 03:04 PM
Nice pose and plumage detail. Gorgeous background.

Steve Canuel
03-17-2010, 06:47 PM
I really like the BG colors (including the pine needle starburst). Nice pose by the bird too.

christopher galeski
03-18-2010, 06:56 AM
nice posing shot,nice and sharp,I would like a bit darker bg,and I agree with Stuart about the branch in the lrc,thanks for sharing.

Stephen Stephen
03-31-2010, 09:02 PM
Hey Dan very nice image. I love the pose and the head angle. I enjoyed the outing.