PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Mongoose

Stu Bowie
03-16-2010, 01:57 PM
He might not be a lion or tiger, but sometimes the little guys need some exposure too. This mongoose was not worried about me. He was literally next to my car, and was observing all around. I shot this vertical. Taken in a nature reserve close to my house last weekend. I blurred the grass slightly to make him stand out a little more. I was too close to have the DOF take effect, and f/7.1 wasnt going to work anyway.

Canon 50D
100-400 @ 190mm
1/1250
F/7.1
ISO 400

Exp Comp +0.33
Hand held from the car.

Steve Kaluski
03-16-2010, 04:27 PM
Hi Stuart, I do personally feel that sometimes we over look our wildlife because they aren't pretty, on the wish list, topical etc, however little guys like this have just as much right to be photographed and are/play an integral part. It's a good 'stock shot', with bags of detail, good colour & detail, with a classic, characteristic pose. Would like a bit off the foot and a tad more above, but that's me.;)

Stephen Stephen
03-16-2010, 04:46 PM
Stuart nicely done. I like the intense look of this fellow. I might wish for a touch more head room but I've would still be pleased to have captured this image.

Todd Frost
03-16-2010, 04:46 PM
Nice pose captured with good sharpness. Steve is so right about the under appreciated wildlife we pass by every day. Well done. TFS
Todd

Harshad Barve
03-16-2010, 07:09 PM
Stuartbhai , Beautiful image and agreed with Steve here , Man , I need to tell my driver that there are so many other animals than tiger cubs :D
TFS

Ken Watkins
03-16-2010, 11:13 PM
Stuart,

I could not agree more the little stuff is very interesting and often make better images than the "Big 5". This is a perfect example of this genre, and shows what a great advantage it is to drive yourself and not be dictated to by "list tockers".
I like it a lot, where is this little reserve you have a lot up there?

Callie de Wet
03-17-2010, 12:20 PM
Hi Stu! Lovely, all way round. Shot my first mugshot with the slitted eye there too. I have a toss-up between Rietvlei and Pilanesberg this Saturday. You have been to both recently, where to go?

Hendri Venter
03-17-2010, 02:57 PM
This is very well captured mate. Lovely pose and tack sharp.

Stu Bowie
03-18-2010, 02:34 AM
Thank you all so much.