PDA

View Full Version : Dry Tortugas

John Haig
02-25-2008, 11:05 AM
Hello,
I'm leaving Thursday for my first trip to South Florida. I'll be down for a couple of weeks, and I'm traveling with my exceedingly patient father, who isn't a birder or photographer but as he puts it "sitting watching you chase birds beats sitting watching the darned snow drift by the window" so we get along very well.
We're hoping to visit the Keys and especially Fort Jefferson and the Dry Tortugas...can anyone tell me if there will be many good photo opportunities for Magnificent Frigatebird or other species this time of year? I understand their nesting island is off limits from March through the breeding season.
I'd also love some tips on other Florida hotspots...we're mobile and I've done my research, but I'd really like to know the best current locations for Roseate Spoonbills and Purple Gallinules, Snail Kites, Caracaras, and if there are any Whooping Cranes in accessible locations this winter?
Best Regards
John Haig

Jim Poor
02-25-2008, 11:11 AM
I'd recommend contacting someone like James Shadle for Spoonbills. He seems to have them on his payrole. See here among a lot of other spoonbilll posts for why I say that:

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5896

Maxis Gamez
02-25-2008, 09:19 PM
Jim have a valid point. S.W Florida is very active, you can find activity almost anywhere. Good luck!

Alfred Forns
02-26-2008, 12:00 PM
John for specific bird information check the local Audubon society local pages Will call a friend and get the link It is specific

In general there will be opportunities just about anywhere The one must is a trip with James on his boat Incredible experience even for non photographer/birder !!!

At the fort there will always be action The best time is migration Not far from now How are you getting to the Fort? Will be exciting !!!

John Haig
02-26-2008, 03:16 PM
Thanks, guys....I am very much looking forward to the experience.

Alfred, I'm thinking about the seaplane from Key West...I enjoy flying and I'd like to see Fort Jefferson and the islands from the air.

I think we'll probably start out in Saint Augustine and spend some time at Merritt Island on the way south to Everglades National Park. Flamingo is on the list of places I want to see, hopefully with a crocodile sighting thrown in for good measure. Then we're going to head over to the Keys, check out the Dry Tortugas, and work our way back up the west side of Florida. Should be an adventure.

Judd Patterson
02-26-2008, 07:11 PM
Dry Tortugas National Park is an absolute jewel and while you won't have access to the islands where the sea birds are nesting (Bush and Long Keys for most, Hospital Key for Masked Booby) there are almost always Magnificent Frigatebirds hanging like huge kites over the even huger Fort Jefferson...it's an image stuck very firmly in my head...a special place. You will see the beginnings of migration, and might find above average numbers of raptors. Some images a few months ago from the area showed frigatebirds chasing American White Pelicans, which was really cool! The sea plane provides some outstanding views, and I'd love to travel down there that way myself this spring.

Jared Lloyd
03-26-2008, 08:04 PM
if you go to the marina at Flamingo, your pretty much guaranteed to see crocs. Theres usually at least 2 hanging out right along side the marina an in the boat slips. I haven't not seen one yet.