PDA

View Full Version : So Close...

Julie Kenward
03-16-2010, 01:11 PM
My daffodils are about 3-4 days away from popping out of their little cocoons so I sat down last night with the macro lens and played with some different angles and lighting in preparation for their grand opening. :D This is one of the images I made of only the foliage - and I did very little pp to it as the sun was low and did a great job of lighting everything for me. I was going for a very soft, ethereal, 'painted' look with this one.

Canon 40D, EF 100mm f/2.8 macro
f3.2 @ 1/125th, ISO 200
Manual mode, pattern metering, no flash, handheld (leaning against a nearby fence for support)

Ken Childs
03-16-2010, 02:10 PM
Jules, since you were going for a soft, painted look, I'd say you nailed this one! Colors, lighting and comp are fantastic!

Jerry van Dijk
03-16-2010, 03:16 PM
Hi Jules, this is just wonderful! Is it just me or have your images improved again lately? I haven't been able to respond much in the last weeks, but I have checked in every now and then and found them really standing out. Maybe it's the approach of spring?

Roman Kurywczak
03-16-2010, 04:08 PM
Hey Jules,
While I usually shoot at the "other end" of the macro spectrum I find soft focus images very interesting if done well....which this one is! I do wish for the tip of the leaf in the UR.....but sweet comp and choice of DOF!

Julie Kenward
03-16-2010, 04:14 PM
Thanks Ken and Jerry - I always value your opinions.

Jerry, I spent the entire winter practicing and refining my post-production skills and reworking quite a few of my old images. I don't know if it's so much that they are getting "better" as much as I seem to be finally finding my "nitche" both "in camera" and in pp and am finding it easier to consistently reproduce the look I am going for.

All I can say is "IT'S ABOUT DARN TIME!" ;)

I'm sure I'll still throw a clunker in here now and again but I do feel like my hard work is finally paying off. This winter was brutal but it sure did give me time to hunker down inside and do what I needed to do to get ready for spring. :D

Roman, you're supposed to be looking at the middle of the main stem where it begins to curve - not the tip! Drats! Back to the drawing board...

Randy Stout
03-16-2010, 06:33 PM
Julie:

Before reading Roman's comments, I also thought about the bright tip leading our eyes out of the frame. It is bright enough that it draws ones attention away from the central area.

The painters approach would be to lower the contrast, luminosity of the tip as it neared the frame edge to reduce its 'pulling' power. It is nicely out of focus,which helps some.

It does have a soft, soothing feel to the overall image.

Randy

Julie Kenward
03-16-2010, 07:52 PM
Randy, I think you nailed it. I'll take it back to the drawing board and see if I can't calm those two tips down a bit. Thank you all!

Julie Kenward
03-17-2010, 10:06 AM
Here it is with Randy's suggested changes. I really think I like this better so thanks Roman and Randy for calling my attention to it. :D

Markus Jais
03-17-2010, 04:13 PM
Jules, this is a great shot. I like the soft light, the selective focus and the small DOF.

Markus

Vida van der Walt
03-18-2010, 01:37 AM
Love the lines, pastel greens and softness of the image and light Jules. Ditto nailed it.:)