PDA

View Full Version : Dew Laced flower

Ramesh Adkoli
03-15-2010, 11:53 PM
Here is a wild flower captured one early morning at TG Halli reservoir, about 70kms from Bangalore. I liked the dew glowing in the early morning light. BG is the dried grass covered earth. Appreciate your views.

EXIF: D700, 105mm Micro VR, 1/100s, f/11, ISO 100, tripod mount
PP: CNX2, levels, selective sharpening

regards,
ramesh

Jerry van Dijk
03-16-2010, 03:22 PM
Hi Ramesh, I really like the colors in this image! You did a wonderful job on separating the subject from the BG and the details on the flower are wonderful. I like how you off-centered the flower a little in the horizontal plane, doing the same along the vertical might improve the composition. I would have liked a more even lighting on the flower. The top half seems to be in shadows now.

Roman Kurywczak
03-16-2010, 04:24 PM
Hi Ramesh,
Very good points brought up by Jerry.......but an easy fix with a crop and a bit of a levels layer adjustment. I think the color tones are very nice and harmonious and the BG is also very nice. Small tweaks will really make this shine.

Julie Kenward
03-16-2010, 07:58 PM
Neat image, Ramesh! I also thought it needed a crop so I went with square and really brought it in. Some people will like it; others won't...just wanted to present you with another look.

I lightened up the darker side with a brightness and shadow adjustment in Nik's Viveza but then felt like the underside was still the focus with all that lovely dew so I flipped the image vertically, putting the dewy side up. I definitely think you could have used more DOF here as some of the petals are in focus and some are not but the image overall is really nice. I'd also consider cloning out the dark spots both on the two leaves and behind the flower at the top.

Ramesh Adkoli
03-17-2010, 06:37 AM
Thanks Jerry, Roman and Julie for your views and great inputs. I really appreciate that. Jerry, i will try the offsetting on the vertical plane. I agree the lighting is not even. This is a tough one. I will try to even that out in PP. Julie, i had tried the square crop and didn't like it much. That's when i realized that the flower was not symmetrical (:() and hence didn't fit the square comp well. I would have loved to have more DOF on this. But two aspects lead to this DOF: 1x magnification and the breeze that didn't allow me to stop down further. Will check out your suggestions on handing the dark spots. Thanks again.

regards,
ramesh