PDA

View Full Version : Sunrise over Lalbhag

Ramesh Adkoli
03-15-2010, 11:34 PM
Here is a sunrise captured at Lalbhag, Bangalore. Lalbhag is a sprawling park at the heart of Bangalore and the name implies "Red Park". I guess this sunrise is apt for it's name;-) Appreciate your views.

EXIF: D700, 70-200mm@200mm, 1/800s, f/16, ISO 200, underexposed to get the reds out
PP: CNX2, levels, sharpening, full frame

regards,
ramesh

Dave Mills
03-16-2010, 12:29 PM
Hi Ramesh, Beautiful early glow along with nice silouettes. I radically cropped the image to focus in more narrowly on the sun and the bird and make them stronger within the image. There are other variations of crops that I played with that would work also.

Robert Amoruso
03-16-2010, 02:34 PM
I like Dave's crop suggest Ramesh. In the OP, there is too much negative space. The crop accentuates the center of interest of the image better.

Roman Kurywczak
03-16-2010, 03:50 PM
Hi Ramesh,
I went another way with the crop and all I did was darken the silhouette and shapen it a bit. I also selectively lightened the thin cloud. Let me know your thoughts.

Ramesh Adkoli
03-17-2010, 06:19 AM
Thanks a lot, Dave, Robert and Roman for your views. I really appreciate that. Dave, your crop works best by making the main objects of the image prominent as Robert mentioned, but I felt it is a bit too cramped for the bird. Roman, your crop provides a wider perspective and gives space for the bird's flight so far. But, the fact is i rarely want to crop my images that much. How do i address that aspect assuming i maxed out my FL/reach in the field? Any inputs would be helpful.

regards,
ramesh

Dave Mills
03-17-2010, 09:15 AM
Hi Ramesh, if you can't frame the image using the correct lense the only thing that I can think of is cropping away uneeded portions. Can't think of another solution.

Ramesh Adkoli
03-17-2010, 10:44 PM
Agree, Dave. I was thinking about this too. May be my question wasn't framed properly. Another option would be to re-compose with different perspective or FL to make effective use of negative space. I guess a conscious attempt at that approach would make use of the large format and resolutions provided by current cameras and also convey a different feel to the viewers. Any thoughts?

regards,
ramesh

Roman Kurywczak
03-18-2010, 08:40 PM
Hi Ramesh,
2 stitched verts would have been a possibility. I sometimes compose a frame with negative space.....keeping in mind that I will make it into a pano.

Ramesh Adkoli
03-20-2010, 09:40 AM
Thanks Roman, that would be another approach. I want to put some effort into making the panoramic views and this would be a very useful tip.

regards,
ramesh