PDA

View Full Version : White Ibis

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
02-25-2008, 10:46 AM
Was fortunate to be out with Robert Amoruso on Sat. when I got this realy nice Ibis image. Let me know what you think. Nikon D3, Nikon 200-400 with 1.7x extender, F/9 @ 1/2500 sec, Muti-segmented exposure mode, Aperture Priority, ISO-800, High overcast weather. By the way Robert is a wonderful guide and I learned a great deal. Be sure to give him a try if you need a guide.

Manos Papadomanolakis
02-25-2008, 11:05 AM
I really like the action,light and details,for my taste the BG distracts a bit the attention!

Alfred Forns
02-25-2008, 11:12 AM
Hi Wheeler You got a great pose in favorable light Good colors on the bird Would suggest to straighten the horizon and soften the black oof balls in the bg The grasses in the fg do detract from the image Also a small amount of work around the eye area will make it pop even more !!!! These birds can be spectacular when you catch them straight in full visible wing spread !!!!

Jim Poor
02-25-2008, 11:28 AM
Nice timing and pose for the bird. The horizon is way out of level so some straightening would be good. I don't mind most of the BG, just a few of the reeds that make the bird look like it is on a skewer. Here one possible version:

I didn't take the time, but I might also get rid of the one dark reed that goes diagonally through the lead foot. Looks painful.

Robert Amoruso
02-25-2008, 11:32 AM
Hi Wheeler,

I think you did better with them than I. I agree with Alfred on the CW rotation. If your not sure how to do that, let me know. I would crop some more off the top as well - right below the top of the berm. I think this was our best looking Ibis that morning and you got him sharp. Good job considering how much they were jumping around. Thanks for posting.

Sabyasachi Patra
02-25-2008, 01:39 PM
Need for straightening of horizon is the first that hits the eye. Also, the black spots that Alfred has pointed. I am wondering if you could have taken the shot from slightly lower position to reveal the underside of the left wing slightly more. Nice bird.

Stephen Stephen
02-25-2008, 02:19 PM
Nice image Wheeler and Jim's modifications have really added to it.

Arlene Spagna
02-25-2008, 02:39 PM
Hi,
Great detail on the Ibis. But why not get rid of the top bg altogether(looks like a road). I think that would bring more attention to the Ibis. The fg is ok with me.

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
02-25-2008, 04:21 PM
Here is the repost. I bleared and removed the balls and the apparent road in the BG, Worked on the eye a bit and got rid of a few reeds and I think it is quite improved. Thank you all.

Arthur Morris
02-25-2008, 05:41 PM
Much better. I would suggest cropping 2/3 more off the dark strip at the top and then you would be all the way there. Where? I don't know, but it would be better.

later and love, artie

Jim Poor
02-25-2008, 06:22 PM
Very much improved, good work. :D

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
02-25-2008, 09:29 PM
OK Artie - Here it is. I certainly agree with you the crop makes it much better and it is all the way there. Where ever that is?
Wheeler

Arthur Morris
02-27-2008, 05:42 AM
Much better. Later and love, artie