PDA

View Full Version : Palm Leaf

Mike Moats
03-15-2010, 08:46 PM
I know this looks like an oak leaf, but it was shot in the tropical section at the Meijer Gardens where Randy has been shooting his B-fly shots. It was a small bushy plant with leaves that where fairly large. So I think it was some kind of Palm bush. The light hitting the leaves is what caught my eye. I left the hot areas rather then toning them down as i wanted the stong contrast of the highlights.

Fuji S5, 180 macro, Handheld because no tripods, f/3.5 at 180sec, natural light.

Julie Brown
03-15-2010, 09:14 PM
Mike, I love the lines and texture in this image. The lighting is perfect IMO. It just glows!:)

Markus Jais
03-16-2010, 01:21 AM
Beautiful shot. I like the composition, the diagonal lines and the colors in this shot.

Markus

Charles Wesley
03-16-2010, 05:48 AM
Mike,

The high contrast on this leaf gives it a 3D effect. Very nice graphic image.
Thanks for sharing...

Jerry van Dijk
03-16-2010, 03:25 PM
Wonderful colors, Mike. It has a vintage look. Nice feel of depth.

Roman Kurywczak
03-16-2010, 04:13 PM
Hey Mike,
Very rarely does high contrast work so well! I still may prefer a touch less on the brights.....but super comp as always and very dramatic light sets this one apart!

Randy Stout
03-16-2010, 06:43 PM
Mike:

My first impression was that of finely beaten metal, not plant material. The highlights fit perfectly with that impression.

Glad you had some fun at Meijer's.

Randy

Julie Kenward
03-16-2010, 08:02 PM
When I first saw this on your website I thought "I wonder if he used the solarizing filter on this?" When I saw it here I had to try it - the one I liked best was the #1 setting under black and white...give it a look. It's smashing as is this beautiful color version.

"Vintage" is such a great description here - that's exactly how it looks - like a neon light that got a good brown glow over it. Incredible...I'll bet this is one of your new top sellers.

dawn campbell
03-16-2010, 10:22 PM
Very nice--it's quite intriguing with all the highlights and shadows.

Charissa
03-17-2010, 12:13 AM
Have to add my, i like it too. The glowing textures, and the lines, makes this special IMHO. Great macro.