PDA

View Full Version : Butterfly

Paul Lagasi
03-15-2010, 05:45 PM
I wish I knew my butterflies or flowers, as well as know my birds....Taken locally a few years ago
Does the background look like it needs more NR?
Thanks for looking

D300, 200-400 @ 400, iso-1250, 1/2500, f8, handheld

Randy Stout
03-15-2010, 06:25 PM
Paul:

Knock your socks off colors. Might try to open the shadows around the head just a bit. I would say yes to a bit more NR, although not bad.

I might have considered a lower shutter speed to gain aperture and ISO flexibility here.

The trailing edges of both wings appear a bit out of the plane of focus.

But the colors make it!

Randy

Mike Moats
03-15-2010, 08:24 PM
Hey Paul, great details and colors. That green eye is wild. Agree on some noise reduction in the BG. Well done.:)

Paul Lagasi
03-15-2010, 11:06 PM
Thanks guys..I'll work on it

Markus Jais
03-16-2010, 01:23 AM
Beautiful colors, great BG and wonderful sharpness in the butterfly's head and flower.
I wish for a little more sharpness on the wing tips.

Markus

Ken Childs
03-16-2010, 05:50 AM
Paul, most has already been covered but you might also consider cropping a bit off the right side.

The bfly is probably a Clouded Sulphur and the flower is a species of Aster but without seeing more of the plant, I can say which kind. Did you boost the color on the eye? They're green but usually not that green. :)

Paul Lagasi
03-16-2010, 02:15 PM
Thanks Everyone for comments and tips I'll work on it...Ken, back before BPN, I was a real fan of high saturation in my images, I probably had the saturation boosted in my camera for sure. I know for a fact, I didn't boost just the eye color.

Julie Kenward
03-16-2010, 08:07 PM
That's incredible, Paul...that eye is wild! I'll bet it was pretty close to that color even with the camera settings because the wings look dead on. I believe Ken got the butterfly and flower nailed for species - the little white spots on the wings is what makes it a "clouded" instead of a plain sulfer bf.