PDA

View Full Version : Last Ray,s

Charissa
03-14-2010, 03:46 PM
http://i41.tinypic.com/14b0qp2.jpg
Canon 50D, Sigma 10-20mm lens. F5.6, ISO 400, ss 250, pop up flash used.
I know there is a lot wrong with this technically, but would like some ideas on improving, with PS mostly, as the shot was bungled from the beginning. Should have maybe upped the f stop, lower the ISO to 100? Help and comments please.

Nick Palmieri
03-15-2010, 06:42 AM
Hi Charissa, I will give it a shot but I am sure the moderators will have a lot more valuable information for you. I really like the composition, I love the sun and I love the FG. You are correct that if you wanted everything sharper a bigger f/stop (f/16 -f/22) would have helped. The smaller aperature likely would have enhanced the suns rays as well. I may open the shadows a bit on the mountains...I have used Roberts shadows/highlights tutorial on this site which has improved many images..check it out. I really like the position of the sun between the mountains!

Charissa
03-16-2010, 09:02 AM
Thanks Nick, appreciate info.

Dave Mills
03-16-2010, 12:07 PM
Hi Charissa, Sorry I haven't gotten to this sooner but was away for 10 days. I like your basic comp and the fact you used flash to bring up the foreground. I feel you made the foreground a bit too dominant and would crop about half way up from the bottom in the flashed area.
Using f5.6 on a landscape severely limits your DOF and would shoot at F16 or higher. When shooting landscapes the use of a tripod is essential. It allows you to shoot at slow shutter speeds without worrying about camera shake and gives you ample time to frame your image without psycologically rushing when your handholding.
The lighting in the image is beautiful along with the starburst. The yellow rim around the sun opening looks a bit funky and I would crop out the bright cloud on top of the image...

Roman Kurywczak
03-16-2010, 03:24 PM
Hi Charissa,
Very good advice given above. Another positive effect of f16 or f22 is that it would make the sunburst even greater/more pronounced. The flash was a good idea.....but you should have toned it down a touch.......another option is the split ND......would have allowed you to tone down the sun....and open up the FG....but be aware that you can get more flares with the filter.....yet another option is HDR. I don't do them.....but find them intiguing......I think all options are viable and worth exploring.....so just may give you a few ideas for next time out. Oh....BTW....a fourth option is to take a very long exposure.....iso 100...f22....a solid ND or polariser to slow the SS waaaayyyy down.....and block the top 1/2 of the image with your hand (only use this in emergency)....but if you check Harold's post a few down.......it will give you an idea of how the hand trick works!
Very nice job composing this and considering the specs.....it turned out pretty good!

Charissa
03-27-2010, 01:04 PM
Thanks everyone, for help and advise. I was in such a hurry to get the shots, i failed to check my settings. Good advise appreciated, will do so.