PDA

View Full Version : Snow Monkey with baby on back

Charles Glatzer
03-14-2010, 11:32 AM
This image is copyrighted material as indicated, and is watermarked!

Japan, 2010

1Ds Mark III, 70-200
Manual (spot plus 2.7EV off snow highlight on overcast day), 1/500 @ f5, ISO 800
Post-production-LR3, CS4, NIK

See you where there is light, or at the computer

Chas
<!-- / message -->

Todd Frost
03-14-2010, 01:03 PM
Another fine image Chas. I like the inclusion of the habitat rather than tight on the monkey. I'm sure you have that too:D. Techs are spot on as usual. TFS
Todd

Steve Kaluski
03-14-2010, 02:48 PM
Chas i have looked at this a number of times and I still come back to the same conclusion.

The dark background at the top (for me) is just too dominant and detracts from a rather endearing image. If you crop about 2/3rds off the top, it then works for me.;) There is a story to this for me and I love it, it's engaging and has a lot of appeal. Any image that has snow, has issues, and as expected, you have handled it very well. It's an image that needs/deserves more comments.

Nice one Chas.:)

Steve

Morkel Erasmus
03-14-2010, 03:31 PM
I like the story and intensity here - as if mother needs to find shelter for her baby. I kind of agree with Steve on a bit of a larger crop off the top, but I do like the environment and exposure and placement of the subjects.

Austin Thomas
03-14-2010, 05:30 PM
Hi Chas,

Another vote for a tighter crop. You obviously had a great time in Japan and produced some excellent images.
It is interesting to me to see +2.7 off the snow highlight. I did some skiers recently and was surprised when I dialled in +2 as a start point and that was far too much. Darker snow in Europe ???

tfs

Austin

Charles Glatzer
03-14-2010, 07:08 PM
Flat overcast snow is plus 2.7 Ev with a IDs, and Mark IV has a bit more headroom. This assumes clipping for pure white is at or above 3 stops over a mid-tone value.
Sunny snow conditions typically plus 2EV...care to guess why? Nikon may vary by .7EV depending on camera model.

Which camera are you using and do you have the in camera contrast set low or lowest depending on model to more accurately reflect HIGHLIGHT clipping?

Chas

Jay Gould
03-14-2010, 07:42 PM
Hi Chas, another vote for a wonderful image that IMHO needs a tighter crop.

Could you please expand on your comment

do you have the in camera contrast set low or lowest depending on model to more accurately reflect HIGHLIGHT clippingdo you have the in camera contrast set low or lowest depending on model to more accurately reflect HIGHLIGHT clipping

Thanks Mate,

Ken Watkins
03-14-2010, 08:21 PM
Another vote for a tighter crop, but otherwise a good clean image of what I always think of as a rather bizarre habitat for a monkey.

Charles Glatzer
03-14-2010, 08:25 PM
Jay,

If you use the in-camera (JPEG) histogram to determine clipping...the histogram and blinking alert will suggest clipping with less exposure if left at the higher contrast settings.

I have suggested for years to set in-camera Picture Style to -2 contrast with the Mark III, and in fact now suggest -3 or 4 with the MARK IV. Doing this will provide for a more accurate histogram representation of the dynamic range that can be captured in camera, and therefore help avoid unnecessary under-exposure.

Knowing how much headroom your RAW converter provides will assist you in determining the best contrast setting for YOUR camera. I find the settings above work well with LR3 and CS4 RAW conversion.

BTW- thanks guys on the crop suggestion, it could easily be done from the full frame image as presented.

Chas

David Thomasson
03-14-2010, 08:36 PM
The dark background at the top (for me) is just too dominant and detracts from a rather endearing image.

+1 This was my immediate reaction. My eye wandered back and forth between the subject and the too-similar distraction above.

thijs broekkamp
03-16-2010, 03:19 AM
Awesome! i like the in-habit setting.