PDA

View Full Version : Flash blur butterfly

Randy Stout
03-14-2010, 09:02 AM
In my continuing butterfly quest, I tired some flying flash blurs on butterflies at the Meijer's garden. Although they are slow flyers compared to my usual bird subjects, the macro lens isn't exactly a snappy auto focuser, so it was an interesting challenge. Prefocused on the flower and shot when the butterfly was close.

The slow shutter speed combined with the flash gives the blurring effect, but I tried to get enough sharpness to the butterfly to keep ones attention. The blurs and artifacts along the wings are due to the motion/flash blur and not from sloppy post work:D

I cropped this image in from the right and bottom to move the butterfly to its current position.

At this point I have stared at it long enough that I am losing my objectivity, and would appreciate your learned input.
Main questions from me, does it work, is it an effective image? Is the background acceptable? Composition thoughts?

D700 Sigma 180 macro @f/11 1/200s ISO 500 SB800 on Wimberley AM-4 macro bracket left of lens
Hand held, no support allowed in the venue.

Post: CS4 PS curves selective sharpening, crop as mentioned

Thanks so much!

Randy

Julie Kenward
03-14-2010, 12:03 PM
I do think it works, Randy, and here's why: You have the butterfly entirely in a "clear" area and the way the wings are spanning they really pull your attention to the flower. Also, the eyes, nose, and antenna are in pretty clear shape - they still have enough detail to add to the image. I might try sharpening the eye or adding a little contrast to it just to see if you can make it pop even more.

The only thing I think I might consider changing would be the blurred area above the back wing. I'd try to clean that area up right above his wing so the top line seems more in focused - that's how the front wing looks and I think it would bring cohesiveness between the two that way. I would certainly leave the rest of the blur in and below the wings.

This really is amazing to me - I never thought to try an in-camera blur on a butterfly before! It's very inspiring!

Allen Sparks
03-14-2010, 12:25 PM
Randy, this is an interesting shot and it works for me. In-flight macros are tough to begin with and I find getting any kind of focus on a flying butterfly really tough. I like the separation of the subject from the other elements as Julie mentioned. Nice one and thanks for sharing.

Julie Brown
03-15-2010, 09:22 PM
Very unusual action shot, Randy. I like it. I would have never thought to do this.
Guess it takes a birder to come up with this type of shot for a butterfly!:)