PDA

View Full Version : Tall grass

Sabyasachi Patra
02-25-2008, 05:58 AM
I was looking for a tiger in the tall elephant grass in Corbett National Park, India. I had parked the jeep to listen to the calls to know the whereabouts of the tiger. Looked at the grass swaying in the wind and thought of capturing it.

Canon EOS 1D Mark II, EF 400mm F2.8 L IS USM, Canon EF 2xII converter, ISO 200, f11 at 1/400

Robert Amoruso
02-25-2008, 06:35 AM
Sabyasachi,

I like the idea here and the subject is interesting. The f/111 aperture, IMO left too much of the BG sharp as I find myself trying to sort out the sharp grasses in the FG from the relatively OOF grasses in the middle ground and the blues and brighter portions in the BG. I will be interested in seeing others comments as I am struggling to make these types of images myself.

Bret Edge
02-25-2008, 09:32 AM
I agree with Robert on this one. I really like the idea and the composition. A larger aperture would have allowed the FG grass to stand out better from the background grass. Another interesting option is to crop from the top to just below the white sky. This really creates a graphic and almost abstract image. Nice work!

Paul Marcellini
02-25-2008, 05:11 PM
I agree with Bret's crop idea for this particular image and to go with a larger aperture next time. Shots of mine like this that work best have maybe 3-10 very sharp foreground elements that the eye can focus on easier. Hope this helps.

Paul

George DeCamp
02-25-2008, 06:03 PM
I tried this and never got one I liked. You did better than I ever did but something is still missing. I like the ideas presented so far and will try them myself. I do think you did pretty well!