PDA

View Full Version : Raptor ID

Paul Ricciardi
03-13-2010, 07:23 PM
Hey guys, I'm visiting my father down at the beach and he volunteers at an animal shelter. I went to drop him off for his volunteer work after a very fruitful morning spent photographing shorebirds.

As I was leaving I noticed two raptors overhead so jumped out and grabbed my camera from the trunk.

One bird was an Osprey and the other was this guy. He was following the Osprey rather closely, not entirely sure what I photographed. Could it be a juvi bald eagle or am I nuts?

Taken in Georgetown South Carolina over a large and fairly remote water reservoir.

Thanks for the ID help
-Paul

Fabs Forns
03-13-2010, 08:16 PM
It looks like a juvenile Bald Eagle to me, but what do I know...

Axel Hildebrandt
03-13-2010, 09:23 PM
I agree, it looks like a second year (?) Bald Eagle.

Shawn P. Carey
03-13-2010, 10:08 PM
I do not believe a second year Bald Eagle would have that much white on the head.

Looks like maybe a Basic III (Transition) page 118 A Photographic Guide to North American Raptors. Brian Wheeler & Bill Clark

Hoever the beak of the bird in question looks more yellow which might be a 4th year bird?

Axel Hildebrandt
03-14-2010, 11:20 AM
I do not believe a second year Bald Eagle would have that much white on the head.

Looks like maybe a Basic III (Transition) page 118 A Photographic Guide to North American Raptors. Brian Wheeler & Bill Clark

Hoever the beak of the bird in question looks more yellow which might be a 4th year bird?

Shawn, I didn't look it up, thanks for the correction.

Paul Ricciardi
03-14-2010, 06:55 PM
Thanks for all of the help guys, really appreciate it!