PDA

View Full Version : Red-winged Blackbird - Calling

Ryan Schain
03-13-2010, 11:08 AM
Early morning light on a male Red-winged Blackbird fighting for territory with another male. This s by far my favorite time of year to photograph this species.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2690/4427810245_c2ea9b7ae1_o.jpg

Canon EOS 7D
Canon EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 L IS

I was using a tripod, and trying to see if I could stick to ISO 400. After awhile I moved to ISO 800 for more shutter speed, but this one worked out with only 1/100

1/100
f/5.6
400 mm
ISO 400
+1 1/3 EV

Daniel Cadieux
03-13-2010, 11:37 AM
Yes, now's the time for them! I heard and saw the first one's of the year up here yesterday...spring is rolling in:).

It worked out nicely with 1/100s. No noticeable movement on the bill or wing. Good call in upping the EC. I do wish the bird was angled a bit more towards us (especially the head). You could crop a bit more at right to eliminate the bit of cattail sneeking into the frame at lower right edge. You could also remove the two bits at bottom left edge. I like the typical habitat shown.

Ryan Schain
03-13-2010, 11:51 AM
Yes, now's the time for them! I heard and saw the first one's of the year up here yesterday...spring is rolling in:).

It worked out nicely with 1/100s. No noticeable movement on the bill or wing. Good call in upping the EC. I do wish the bird was angled a bit more towards us (especially the head). You could crop a bit more at right to eliminate the bit of cattail sneeking into the frame at lower right edge. You could also remove the two bits at bottom left edge. I like the typical habitat shown.

Thanks Daniel! I 100% agree with you on cropping out the bits of cattail, as well as the angle. I just looked through my photos from yesterday, is this one somewhat better with the angle?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4030/4427810253_a9effb3d16_o.jpg

Daniel Cadieux
03-13-2010, 12:10 PM
Ryan, yes I do prefer your second image. Not only for the HA, but also the better fan-tail and cleaner look of the wingtips (not crazy about the spacing between the feathers in the first image).

Myer Bornstein
03-13-2010, 12:26 PM
I like the second image but does need cropping at the bottom and right side. The cattail heads also need some toning down the whites are blown away

Julie Brown
03-13-2010, 12:29 PM
Ryan, I have been trying to photograph these guys with the same focal length, but can't get close. Did you have to crop this image much, and how close were you?

Nice feather detail and exposure. I like the pose and the dew on the bird's body. :)

Ryan Schain
03-13-2010, 01:06 PM
I like the second image but does need cropping at the bottom and right side. The cattail heads also need some toning down the whites are blown away

Myer,

Thanks for your feedback. I completely agree about the blown cattail, as I think it was the reason I originally didn't post it.

Ryan Schain
03-13-2010, 01:10 PM
Ryan, I have been trying to photograph these guys with the same focal length, but can't get close. Did you have to crop this image much, and how close were you?

Nice feather detail and exposure. I like the pose and the dew on the bird's body. :)

Thanks Julie!

I haven't cropped this image much. I was probably 10-15 feet away from the birds, maybe more maybe less. With 400mm sometimes it can be hard. I have learned which species I can approach, and which I have to let come to me. Red-winged Blackbirds are sometimes approachable but, in this case I positioned myself in the right area and waited until they made their way over by me.

Axel Hildebrandt
03-13-2010, 02:38 PM
The head angle in the second image makes it much stronger, I also like the composition and agree regarding toning down the BG.

Ryan Schain
03-13-2010, 07:18 PM
The head angle in the second image makes it much stronger, I also like the composition and agree regarding toning down the BG.

Thanks Axel!

What do you think of this repost? It's my absolute first time I've actually removed things in the image, so I'm kind of unsure. I also attempted to dodge/burn some in the background. I kind of liked the high key look, but i tried fixing some of the distracting aspects.

Julie Brown
03-13-2010, 07:43 PM
Not seeing the repost, Ryan.:confused: