Canon EOS REBEL T1i
Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 12mm tube, Canon 1.4x entender
Manual mode
1/200"
F10
ISO: 200
Canon 430EX with bounce card: On, Fired
LR & CS3

Each capsule is about 3mm long. I think that's a mite and it was fate that put it in this shot. Out of dozens of capsules to choose from, I just happened to focus on the one with this bug. The BG is a flower pot that resides on my kitchen counter.

Randy Stout
03-13-2010, 09:55 AM
Ken:

What a little unexpected bonus. Although I would like the image without the mite, it adds a lot. Pleasant colors and forms. Just as a trial, I might crop in from the right, just inside the far right capsule, changes the balance of the image a bit.

When I stared at the main capsule with the mite, I was struck by the similarity to the top of a long neck beer bottle with a crimp on cap.

Cheers

Randy

Julie Kenward
03-13-2010, 10:21 AM
Okay, Randy, great minds must think alike because I thought of the top of a beer bottle as well! Looks like the mite could use a bottle opener at this point. ;)

Ken, I'm not too sure about the two tall OOF lines in the BG - there doesn't seem to be enough detail and it leaves me wishing they weren't there. That said, then the image really doesn't have much height to it so not sure what to do at that point - maybe a pano crop would work?

I do like the image overall - and the mite adds a ton of interest to it. Nice clarity and details on that front capsule!

Julie Brown
03-13-2010, 12:18 PM
Ken, I like the mite, but if it were mine I would do a vertical crop and get rid of the OOF stems to the right. Pleasing BG and I love the detail on the stem!

Jerry van Dijk
03-13-2010, 03:31 PM
Hi Ken, lovely image. Have to correct you on the ID of the animal, however. It's a springtail (Collembola), not a mite. By the looks of it, some species of the Sminthuridae family. When you enlarge them under the microscope, they look really cute, because they resemble little bunnies. I think it's presence adds interest to the image, but maybe that's just because I like these little creatures a lot!
I like your composition very much because of the interplay of the lines the capsules provide. I can imagine that some folks will prefer a 'cleaner' image. I also like the repetition of the subject in the BG and the color combination of subject and BG. Nice work!

Mike Moats
03-13-2010, 06:49 PM
Hey Ken, I like the comp but think you have to much on the top. I think by crop some of the vacant space on the top it will draw your eye better to the cool little critter.

Anita Bower
03-14-2010, 08:28 AM
lovely. i like the composition, colors, dof, and your little bonus. the crop as is works for me. :)

Allen Sparks
03-14-2010, 08:38 AM
Hi Ken, I love that little mite. the composition and crop work for me as it is.

Ken Childs
03-14-2010, 08:40 AM
Thanks everyone for your comments.

I originally tried pretty much every crop suggested here but ended up with this one because I like those faded capsules in the BG and I didn't want any partial capsules in the final version. :)

Jerry, thanks for the correct ID.

And yes, I also thought of a beer bottle when I first look at these magnified capsules. :D

Vida van der Walt
03-15-2010, 01:45 AM
I love this Ken! I wouldn't change a thing. That little mite is precious and takes this already lovely image over the top. Stunning!:)