PDA

View Full Version : Another Spider

Nick Palmieri
03-12-2010, 09:54 PM
Canon EOS 40D, 100mm macro, ISO 640, 1/125, f/7.1 with external flash.

Richard Waas
03-13-2010, 07:46 AM
Nick, great detail on the spiders body. I wish there was a tad more DOF so the head was completely in focus as well. Also as I was looking at the image something made me feel uncomfortable. I tried flipping it vertically and the feeling went away. I'm not a roller coaster, dare devil kind of guy. Maybe it was the hanging upside down feeling and the dark BG above the light BG. I rotated the image, what do you think? By the way, great use of flash and a fabulous capture.

Julie Kenward
03-13-2010, 10:23 AM
Nick, I have to agree with Richard on this one. The upside down part really threw me at first and I always prefer the dark end of an image to be at the bottom for "weight" reasons. Excellent details - the neon of the insect locked in the web is very cool. Nice composition and just the right amount of room around the edges.

Jerry van Dijk
03-13-2010, 03:48 PM
Excellent detail and nice use of the flash, Nick. At first I was a bit confused about the angle you got in this spider, but I like how it shows the threads of silk running from the abdomen to the already partly wrapped prey.

Mike Moats
03-13-2010, 06:51 PM
Hey Nick very cool capture and have to also agree on Richards repost. Great details on the underside.

Nick Palmieri
03-13-2010, 09:02 PM
Thanks gang, the position never really bothered me until you guys mentioned it, and I think I agree. Have not shot many spiders so I really have no reference. He was just hanging there outside my garage and I held the camera up and shot this. Thanks for the thoughts and input.

Allen Sparks
03-14-2010, 08:36 AM
Nick, nice capture of the action and I agree with what's been said. I always love behavioral shots of wildlife.

Vida van der Walt
03-15-2010, 01:37 AM
A great catch for both you and the spider. I think Richard is right in flipping the image. I know it is difficult to find the right angle for maximum dof with shots like these.:)