Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 500 mm
ISO Speed: 220
Exposure Bias: +1/3 EV
Flash: No Flash

Alfred Forns
03-12-2010, 07:23 PM
Hi Troy

Good wing spread and sharp with a full breeding plumage bird !! Best to have the bird not going away from you.
Good job on the exposure, easy to miss with the dark bg !!!

Troy Lim
03-12-2010, 07:26 PM
Hi Troy

Good wing spread and sharp with a full breeding plumage bird !! Best to have the bird not going away from you.
Good job on the exposure, easy to miss with the dark bg !!!

Thanks, Al. I wish it was not making the turn. :)

Alfred Forns
03-12-2010, 07:30 PM
... btw very elegant copyright! :) Like it a lot !!!

Gail Spitler
03-12-2010, 07:59 PM
Troy - The wing spread is superb, and the exposure is spot on. I can't tell for sure, is the head a bit soft as well?
Very dramatic image
Cheers
Gail

Troy Lim
03-12-2010, 08:41 PM
... btw very elegant copyright! :) Like it a lot !!!

:D:D:D

Troy Lim
03-12-2010, 08:41 PM
Troy - The wing spread is superb, and the exposure is spot on. I can't tell for sure, is the head a bit soft as well?
Very dramatic image
Cheers
Gail

Yes, a bit soft. Thank you.

Fabs Forns
03-12-2010, 10:35 PM
I'll chime in. Head is soft because of depth of field. It is a big bird and f/5.6 does not cover since the head is going away rather than parallel to you. I know f/5.6 seems like a very sexy f stop, but it depends on the application. Big birds with weird necks in odd position can benefit from good ole f/8, tired, but dependable.

Besides, you got a VERY sweet camera that can handle ISO 400 without even blinking. Going under is a waste of real estate ;) Unless you are doing landscapes.

Question, why 1/3 over?

Troy Lim
03-12-2010, 11:12 PM
I'll chime in. Head is soft because of depth of field. It is a big bird and f/5.6 does not cover since the head is going away rather than parallel to you. I know f/5.6 seems like a very sexy f stop, but it depends on the application. Big birds with weird necks in odd position can benefit from good ole f/8, tired, but dependable.

Besides, you got a VERY sweet camera that can handle ISO 400 without even blinking. Going under is a waste of real estate ;) Unless you are doing landscapes.

Question, why 1/3 over?

The earlier shots that I have at even were mostly too dark. So I decided to compensate it with +1/3.
f8 is a good idea, that is what always use for eagles.

Fabs Forns
03-13-2010, 12:02 AM
I noticed your comment about f/5.6 on the other Egret image. Check the distance from the sensor plane in yours and and his, and see if you should be prepared for the unexpected or pray for good luck ;) I know a fella in your area that thinks that the law of physics are going to magically bend to accommodate him, but that is not the case. Depth of field does not bend for anyone.
Learning is not easy and it involves listening to others that have been doing this longer than you and are willing to share their experience.
Otherwise, the learning curve could get very steep.

Troy Lim
03-13-2010, 06:00 AM
I noticed your comment about f/5.6 on the other Egret image. Check the distance from the sensor plane in yours and and his, and see if you should be prepared for the unexpected or pray for good luck ;) I know a fella in your area that thinks that the law of physics are going to magically bend to accommodate him, but that is not the case. Depth of field does not bend for anyone.
Learning is not easy and it involves listening to others that have been doing this longer than you and are willing to share their experience.
Otherwise, the learning curve could get very steep.

Is it because the subject I have closer to me than the other egret shot? What confuses me is this egret is at the point that it was flying sideway, the whole body plus neck were probably almost at the same plain.
The other shot the head was in front, flying at an angle towards him, but he 5.6 worked in his case.
So is the distance of the subject playing into effect?
I appreciate it if you can explain further. I am willing to learn if you are willing to share ;)

Fabs Forns
03-13-2010, 08:10 AM
The other head is much closer to the plane than yours. This could also happen if they are flying towards you with the long neck tucked in and your sensor does not fall exactly where it needs you for best of field. This is why using f/8 for flight in big animals would help. If he flies very close to you and from the side, unless it is a big crop, both wings and head will not be in focus. Something's got to give.

Your Egret was flying parallel, but if he was close to you and you didn't crop, both wings would not be in focus. At the moment you pressed the shutter, he turned away, placings both wings almost in the same plane (both wings are in focus) but your head is outside of the aperture range. Do you see what I'm seeing?
And yes, the closer you are to a subject, the more critical DOF becomes. DOF does not bend not has special friends. In fact, it is so precise that you can download charts with exact numbers.
So if you see a big bird flying from the side with wings extended and everything is in sharp focus at f/5.6, ask how much of a crop that is. Distance to subject provided the DOF.
Hope this helps.

Troy Lim
03-13-2010, 11:47 AM
The other head is much closer to the plane than yours. This could also happen if they are flying towards you with the long neck tucked in and your sensor does not fall exactly where it needs you for best of field. This is why using f/8 for flight in big animals would help. If he flies very close to you and from the side, unless it is a big crop, both wings and head will not be in focus. Something's got to give.

Your Egret was flying parallel, but if he was close to you and you didn't crop, both wings would not be in focus. At the moment you pressed the shutter, he turned away, placings both wings almost in the same plane (both wings are in focus) but your head is outside of the aperture range. Do you see what I'm seeing?
And yes, the closer you are to a subject, the more critical DOF becomes. DOF does not bend not has special friends. In fact, it is so precise that you can download charts with exact numbers.
So if you see a big bird flying from the side with wings extended and everything is in sharp focus at f/5.6, ask how much of a crop that is. Distance to subject provided the DOF.
Hope this helps.

Thank you. Thanks for the lesson.