PDA

View Full Version : Trumpeter - In your face

Steve Maxson
03-11-2010, 07:16 PM
This Trumpeter Swan is water skiing in to a landing on the Mississippi River at a Minnesota wintering site. 40D, 300 f/4 + 1.4X, 1/1600, f/7.1, ISO 400, NR and gradient blur on background. Hand held using a BushHawk. All comments welcome and appreciated.

Jeff Parker
03-11-2010, 07:46 PM
Good action shot. I can't put my finger on it, but somehow the image just doesn't "do it" for me:confused:

Dave Leroy
03-11-2010, 11:58 PM
Very good landing pose Jim.
They are such big strong birds and this shows it well.
I really like the job on the whites.

Stu Bowie
03-12-2010, 12:27 AM
Steve, impressive wings, these guys have. Good job on the exposure, and have you got the frame just before touch down.

Craig Wallace
03-12-2010, 01:18 AM
Nice image Steve, love the feather detail and the splashing water. How do you like the BrushHawk? Thinking of getting one.

Steve Maxson
03-12-2010, 11:49 AM
Steve, impressive wings, these guys have. Good job on the exposure, and have you got the frame just before touch down.
Thanks for your comments, Stuart. Yes, I do have a sequence of this bird (and several others) coming in to land - from final approach to touching down. :) It was a good day.

Steve Maxson
03-12-2010, 11:59 AM
Nice image Steve, love the feather detail and the splashing water. How do you like the BrushHawk? Thinking of getting one.
Thanks, Craig, for your comments. I haven't been able to use the BushHawk extensively yet, but for this intermediate telephoto combo, I found it very helpful for keeping the focusing sensor on the bird - a definite improvement (for me at least) compared to just hand holding the camera and lens. Thus far, I haven't found it to be that helpful when using my much heavier 500 mm, but I think some weight lifting and more practice on my part would make a difference there. :)

Vida van der Walt
03-15-2010, 04:18 AM
Love this Steve. Super pose, great exp, detail and splash!:)