PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions appreciated regarding approach techniques

Deborah Hanson
03-11-2010, 11:14 AM
Apology up front if this is answered somewhere -

I was set to photograph the Krider's when they came back to the nest I watched last year (1st year at that nest). Anyway, I recently noticed that a great horned owl has moved into the nest (guess that means no Krider's):(. I don't want to disturb a nesting bird (I am aware that owls can be aggressive) but was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to the photography of a nesting bird - how close, when not to approach, etc. The nest is a bit off the road and too far to reach with the 400+1/4TC so I would have to approach on foot (or buy a longer lens:D).

Thanks for any information.

Deb

Christopher C.M. Cooke
03-12-2010, 02:50 PM
I never disturb nesting birds. Sure I miss many great images but it has been in my creed forever.

Once the young become a bit independent yes but I reckon they don't need the stress when they are nesting.:)

Just my way of doing things and not advice.

Desmond Chan
03-12-2010, 04:04 PM
I think it's kind of hard to say in general how far you should be away from a bird nest given that there are so many species of birds out there and they do not necessarily react the same way. So, I guess you should try to stay as far away as you can to get your shots without stressing the birds (sometimes you kind of know when that happens).

A couple of years ago, there was a great horned owl nest in a local conservatory. How close were some of the photogs? The nest was in a tree about as high as on the second floor of a house. Some photogs were about ten, fifteen feet from that tree at times. The owl father was sleeping in another tree nearby. The owl mother was with the eggs (I wasn't there everyday mind you). Most of the times the owls seemed not to care about anybody. I think she was more stressed that time when two crows were harassing her left and right (literally). Anyhow, the little owls were born fine.

Deborah Hanson
03-12-2010, 04:35 PM
Christopher/Desmond-
Thanks for input. I just wasn't sure I would know if I was stressing the bird. What I have been debating is if I should even try. When approaching a non-nesting bird, if you disturb them they fly away. I don't want to disturb a nesting bird.
Last year I just watched the Krider's because I wasn't sure how to approach.

Thanks again for taking time to comment. Would love to use this as an excuse to justify the Nikkor 500.
Deb

Myer Bornstein
03-12-2010, 07:37 PM
At Fort Matanzas National Monument below St. Augustine, just outside the visitors center there is nesting GHO in the branch of a live Oak. There a multitudes of people there and it doesn't seem to bother the birds. In fact when I saw the bird for the second time the chick was just about 3 weeks old and the mother left it to go out hunting. So how close can you approach a nesting bird, depends on the bird

Axel Hildebrandt
03-12-2010, 08:26 PM
Thanks again for taking time to comment. Would love to use this as an excuse to justify the Nikkor 500.
Deb

If is is an option, 500 plus 1.4x TC is a great combination and it is definitely worth it. It hardly ever leaves my camera. Life is too short for short lenses. :)

Deborah Hanson
03-15-2010, 08:28 AM
Axel-
If I can find a Nikkor 500 in stock, I am thinking that it might be a nice lens to have. I think I can put off paying my mortgage:D.
Deb

Roger Clark
03-15-2010, 09:17 AM
Deb,
Is the nest along a trail or where people walk by? Usually birds will be fine if you are on a trail where they are used to people walking by. If you must go off trail to reach the nest, I would bet they would be stressed as you approached. I would not do it. In my area (Colorado) there are GHOs in a local state park. Nests are often found along a trail called...the owl trail. The birds are used to people walking by. I have seen people approach a nest that was well off trail and the owls get upset and start flying around screeching.

Roger

Deborah Hanson
03-15-2010, 09:58 AM
Roger-
No, no trail. The nest is in a shelter belt that ends before the road so that there would be no cover between the road and the nest.
I guess I will just watch the owls like I did the Krider's.

Thanks for your input. It is appreciated.
Deb