PDA

View Full Version : Mustang Mountains, Arizona

Paul Lagasi
03-11-2010, 12:52 AM
While searching for Montezuma Quail in Elgin, Arizona, the setting sun lit up the hills in the distance, luckily I had my wide angle lens. Took two images and used auto merge in CS4.
Kit Lens not the best but got the job done.
I think the name is right according to Mapquest.

D300
nikon 18-70 3.8 @ 25mm
f3.8
1/100
iso-320
handheld
patten metering
aperture priority
2 combined images

Morkel Erasmus
03-12-2010, 06:30 AM
I love the pleasing composition and soft light you've got here...maybe you can post a bit wider, eg 1024px? would love to take in more detail. I would also add a slight hint of sharpening to the image.

Dave Leroy
03-12-2010, 10:56 AM
A lovely scene Paul, and I really like the composition.
On my monitor, I wonder if a boost with levels or curves would make it pop a tiny bit more.
It looks like a lovely spot, and I can't wait to get back to Arizona.

Roman Kurywczak
03-12-2010, 03:12 PM
Hey Paul,
Very good advice given above and worth exploring. Some of them may change the soft mood/feel to the image so try them out to see if you like the effect. I do wonder if the slight softness is from the kit lens but it does appear sharp enough so another round of USM should do the trick. Nice job overall and the pano presentation was a wise choice.

Alan Melle
03-12-2010, 03:14 PM
Mustang Mountains near Elgin would be correct. Lovely light on the mountains and a nicely composed pano. Very nice!

Paul Lagasi
03-12-2010, 07:58 PM
Thank You all very much I worked on this some more and re-posted...Roman I agree kit lens sucks, am working on that though...

I had taken two images of the same scene, these images were taken in RAW then converted in ACR, merged, then pano cropped.

Sized, sharpened, raised saturation..Hope you like it

Dave Leroy
03-13-2010, 11:23 AM
I like the this one a lot more Paul. It feels a lot fresher and the soft light is still there.
Very nice.

Julie Brown
03-13-2010, 12:53 PM
Great composition, Paul. The repost is so much better! The mountains and the sky are popping now. The pano makes the image flow better and the bush on the right helps to anchor it, IMO. :)

Paul Lagasi
03-13-2010, 10:24 PM
Thanks Everyone..

Robert Amoruso
03-14-2010, 01:23 PM
Paul.

Well done on the second post. I like the flow of the FG grasses and hills as they complement the BG mountains well. The tree/bush you added at the right/left in the stitch could use a bit more room on the right/left so as not to cramp them - all in all a great effort.

Paul Lagasi
03-14-2010, 05:19 PM
Thanks Robert..as with most of my images they are always a work in progress, thanks for the input I'll rework it, with a bit more canvas on right...