PDA

View Full Version : Rock Shadow

Rich Martin
02-24-2008, 07:50 PM
Was out looking for something different to photograph today besides typical snow landscapes etc. and right below my eyes I noticed a few large border rocks that were casting a cold blue shadow in the mid afternoon sun light. Mohawk State Park, CT
Nikon D80, Tamron 17 - 50mm lens @ 42mm, ISO 400, f/11, 1/2000 Sec., Exp comp +0.3. Comments and critique please.
Rich

Robert Amoruso
02-25-2008, 06:42 AM
Hi Rich,

Your exposure is right on and I like the textures in the snow. The strong light defines the patterns in the snow well. I also like that you left the blue cast and I can see why you composed it as you did. I feel I would have preferred to see a bit more of the area in front of the rock as well as a lower perspective. I know from your description of the image, you captured what you saw but I am wondering if a more compelling representation could have resulted from a different perspective.

Paul Marcellini
02-25-2008, 05:03 PM
I like simple compositions sometimes, and I think this could really work zoomed out just a bit. As Robert said, give it some room in the front. Maybe a more expansive shot, showing the rock as the lone detail. Just an idea. Everything in this shot is technically perfect so well done in that respect.

Paul