PDA

View Full Version : If you ain't got a flash

Fabs Forns
03-10-2010, 08:12 PM
Well, my flash gave up the ghost right before traveling for the workshop. No big deal, I'm not that fond of it and I figured I'd survive.
So the first morning at East beach, we have those beautiful colors and the guys with flash are doing great flights with the orange sky and I'm bored to death. So I got to think, there's got to be at least a hundred pictures here, all I have to do is find one. Then he flies in, little and lost into that magnificent backdrop, with his recognizable shape and there was my picture! Those are the moments I live for. For me, nature photography is about looking at a bird's soul through his eyes, to feel the strength and freedom of his wings, the look of love in a pair that's nesting, a shy eye looking at me behind and out of focus bush. It's about color, movement, mood and beauty. Look for those things, expose them correctly and the rest will fall into place.

Desoto's East Beach with iconic bridge.

1d4, 100-400L @ 100mm
f/5.6, 1/320, ISO 1250
hand held

Nancy A Elwood
03-10-2010, 08:15 PM
Fabs, just surperb!! Sometimes you get the best images when you have to think out from the usual, as you did, not being able to have your flash. It makes you think out of the your comfort level, so to speak.

Grace Scalzo
03-10-2010, 08:19 PM
Stunningly beautiful. Warm and quiet. Thank you, Fabs, for sharing some of your creative thought process with us. Inspirational. You make we want to see better.

Paul Lagasi
03-10-2010, 08:21 PM
Very nice image, love the look of the suspension wires, even evening sky..TFS

Steve Maxson
03-10-2010, 08:24 PM
Stunning sky and perfect placement of the GBH in the LRC. A very cool image, Fabs.

Phil Ertel
03-10-2010, 08:26 PM
Very cool! I love the colors in the sky. I also find the placement of the bird in frame to be pleasing. I would like to echo Grace's comments and thank you on sharing your creative process and the inspiration it provides.

Ilija Dukovski
03-10-2010, 09:44 PM
That really good, the colors are superb of course, w/o the bird it would be good
image. With it, it's really superb.

Dave Leroy
03-10-2010, 10:39 PM
A really very nice photo Fabs and thanks for posting it.
The composition of the bird, bridge and lovely colours are just perfect.
Your thoughts and comments reinforce the same ideas expressed in the video link you provided a few days ago. Great stuff.
Dave

Marc Schoenholz
03-10-2010, 11:37 PM
This image tells a story, captures the emotions of the viewer and has soul.

Through your work, I am transported to an incredible moment in time.

Just wonderful!!

<O:p</O:p
Marc

Kaustubh Deshpande
03-10-2010, 11:44 PM
Another fab-ulos image I must say. Great balance and colors. I am a big fan of silhouettes and they dont get much better than this. Was there a chance to move to your right to get the heron a little closer to the triangles? might have been better. not sure 100% though.

Fabs Forns
03-11-2010, 10:06 AM
Another fab-ulos image I must say. Great balance and colors. I am a big fan of silhouettes and they dont get much better than this. Was there a chance to move to your right to get the heron a little closer to the triangles? might have been better. not sure 100% though.

I would have lost his head shape. I also try verticals but at the end, this was the best take.

Thanks everyone, glad you liked it.