PDA

View Full Version : Battle of the Lanners

Hendri Venter
03-10-2010, 02:57 PM
I captured this action in the Kgalagadi Trasfrontier Park last month. The juvenile(on the right) got a fright when the adult came in to land hence the defensive pose. Bright BG light therefore the +1 exposure.

Canon 1D MK III
Canon 600mm F4 + 1.4 TC
ISO 800
SS 3200
Aperture F6.3
Exposure Compensation +1

Scott Frye
03-10-2010, 03:57 PM
Great behavior shot and I like the idea of using the +1 compensation.

Randy Stout
03-10-2010, 04:07 PM
Hendri:

Great action captured here, love the talons up.
The +1 was a good choice for the left bird, but made the right bird overexposed in some areas because of his angle to the sun. You should have set the +1 left side of frame and even on the right side exposure option. I am sure Canon has this right:D

Decent sharpness on both birds, hard to pull off with that f/stop.

I am seeing haloing around both birds.

I like the composition/framing. Head angle not ideal on right bird, but the action carries it.

Thanks so much for sharing this great action.

Cheers

Randy

Markus Jais
03-10-2010, 04:10 PM
Great action shot. The pose of the left bird is perfect!

Markus

Nicki Gwynn Jones
03-10-2010, 04:36 PM
Hi Hendri,
I would be very happy to have this in my files! I love that the birds are making eye contact and the feather detail is very nice.
Best,
Nicki

Tony Whitehead
03-10-2010, 08:19 PM
Very nice interaction and sharpness. I think you did well with the +1 to achieve the best compromise in image quality. Not sure what is causing the haloing effect with the sky getting darker further away from the birds. May consider removing the 2 OOF right primary tips from the juvi to give a cleaner profile to the bill.

Stu Bowie
03-10-2010, 11:57 PM
Hi Hendri, comp works well, and great interaction captured between the two. I like the wingspread and fanned tail from the falcon on the left, and the juvvie on the right doesnt look happy. Well captured mate.

Hendri Venter
03-11-2010, 02:06 AM
Thank you for taking the time to view and comment.

"You should have set the +1 left side of frame and even on the right side exposure option. I am sure Canon has this right:D" Good suggestion but not in my generation Randy:D:D

The whites around and between the birds is broken clouds. I've got some more and also some without the clouds and the juvinile on its own as well. Will post them sometime.