PDA

View Full Version : Valley of Desolation

Morkel Erasmus
03-10-2010, 08:07 AM
I've been revisiting some of the shots taken during our hike of the Fish River Canyon last year in the absence of any good landscape shoots recently (the Kosmos season is starting up now so hopefully I'll be able to bring some pinkness to the forum soon...I don't live in "Kosmos Country" for nothing!)

I captured this image during our hike through the Fish River Canyon last year. As we crossed a ridge in the canyon, this sight greeted us, showing us it's still going to be many miles before we reach our destination.

This is a 3-image panorama stitch, captured in harsh light that shows the harsh environment. I might have posted a similar composition earlier last year, but my ever-evolving workflow made this come out better than it had last year.

Techs:
Canon 1000D with 18-55mm IS
f16 @ ISO-200

Robert Amoruso
03-10-2010, 12:08 PM
Well composed Morkel. The lines of the water and valley leads around the frame in a pleasing way. Might suggest a bit more room at bottom as you have a red rock outcropping on the left that is interesting and alone the bottom it seems a ridge is present. Including more on bottom would have grounded the image better. Not a biggy though.

I do find the large dark shadow on the right grabs my eye too much. Can you get a bit of detail in there?

Bob Miller
03-10-2010, 01:55 PM
Hi Morkel....I agree with Robert's critique especially the need for some detail in that left hand shadowed bank. beautiful work!

Morkel Erasmus
03-10-2010, 02:52 PM
thanks for commenting Robert & Bob...

how about this repost? recovered some detail from all the shadows...

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
03-10-2010, 02:55 PM
Repost looks good

Morkel Erasmus
03-12-2010, 06:22 AM
thanks Curly...

Charissa
03-12-2010, 01:54 PM
Nice shot Morkel. As u know, i am no pro on the landscape front, but to me, this feels a bit top heavy on the right, so the re worked shot looks much beter to me. Captured the mood of the harsh environment perfectly.

Roman Kurywczak
03-12-2010, 02:52 PM
Hey Morkel,
Combined critique from Dave and me......ditto what Robert said......nice job on the re-post!

Morkel Erasmus
03-13-2010, 02:36 AM
thanks for the critique Charissa, Roman & Dave :)