PDA

View Full Version : Great White Pelican

Bob Ries
03-09-2010, 08:56 PM
I took this shot a few months ago and never really like the post processing that I did on it. So I re-worked the photo and wanted to see what you guys thought.

This was taken on the Great Miami River in Hamilton Oh. I guess this guy was migrating through the area and was on the river for a couple of weeks. In Ohio we don't get to see these birds much if ever.

Taken with a Pentax K100d 400mm, ISO 400, SS 640, not sure about the F stop but think it was F8 or F5.6(lens is an older lens and camera wont record Fstop).

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r152/bobr99/IMGP6477a-1.jpg

Thanks for any C.C. that you can offer.

Bob

Lance Peters
03-10-2010, 03:25 AM
hi Bob - a little more sharpening perhaps - I applied some sharpening selectively to the Pelican and added a little NR to the background.
Good HA and eye contact - perhaps a little more space all around. Exposure looks good.
Looking forward to seeing more :)

Richard Waas
03-10-2010, 07:31 AM
Lance stole my thunder and his repost is much better. A little more room all around would really help. Great capture and and exposure. Details in the white are fabulous. Congrats!

Bob Ries
03-10-2010, 08:53 AM
hi Bob - a little more sharpening perhaps - I applied some sharpening selectively to the Pelican and added a little NR to the background.
Good HA and eye contact - perhaps a little more space all around. Exposure looks good.
Looking forward to seeing more :)

Thanks guys!

This was cropped so I do have more space available. I just wanted to crop this close so you would be able to see the detail better to see if it was sharp enough. I always have a tendency to under do everything. So I will boost the sharpness.

Lance what program did you use on the NR? I currently use Neat Image and don't always get the results that I am looking for.

Thanks again guys!

Bob

Harold Davis
03-10-2010, 05:49 PM
if i had the room i would add some all around but more to the right to give it room to look into. i like the detail work lance did and i'm sure you could do even more with the RAW file.

Jeff Cashdollar
03-10-2010, 08:57 PM
Nice base picture, beautiful subject. As mentioned, the crop is too tight IMO too. The repost eye is much better as well. Like Lance said, you have a nice HA and eye just needed more post production work. Do you have the "Art of Bird Photography" or "Digital Basics" by Artie Morris? They are great training material in this regard. Additionally, check out the How To Forum for threads on post production processing and sharpening. Thanks for sharing.

Lance Peters
03-11-2010, 04:22 AM
Thanks guys!

This was cropped so I do have more space available. I just wanted to crop this close so you would be able to see the detail better to see if it was sharp enough. I always have a tendency to under do everything. So I will boost the sharpness.

Lance what program did you use on the NR? I currently use Neat Image and don't always get the results that I am looking for.

Thanks again guys!

Bob

Hi Bob - I used Noise Ninja and Sharpened with Genuine fRactals.