PDA

View Full Version : Gulf Fritillary

Allen Sparks
03-09-2010, 03:00 PM
Canon 40D, Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro
ISO 400, 1/200, f5.6, hand held

Markus Jais
03-09-2010, 04:04 PM
Great close-up view of this butterfly. I like the colors in the BG and the red in the butterfly. I only with there was a little more room at the right.

Markus

Ken Childs
03-09-2010, 04:13 PM
Allen, I think the best parts of this image are the colors which are wonderful! The OOF legs, antennae and the shadow across the head are all a bit distracting. Is this cropped much? I think it would look better if the eye wasn't so close to the center so more canvas on the bottom and right (or maybe left) could help.

Mike Moats
03-09-2010, 08:16 PM
Hey Allen, I like the details on the b-fly, but I would clone out all the white specs on the wings. Great colors and BG.

Julie Kenward
03-09-2010, 08:36 PM
Allen, the colors here are gorgeous! I think the wings of the bf look a bit oversharpened to me. The head and body seem to be fine - nice sharpness and good detail.

I also find the purple behind the head area distracting. If you could have swung around another step in front of the bf I think you would have managed to get a more uniform BG (that lovely lilac.) You certainly got up close and personal, that's for sure!

Vida van der Walt
03-10-2010, 09:30 AM
Beautiful image Allen. The colour combination in this is stunning. Lovely detail and bg. I would be so proud if this was my shot. I was thinking about what Markus said and wonder if you have more canvas to the left? If you do, try rotating the shot 15 degrees CCW and recompose so that the antennae point at the URC. Just a thought.:)

Randy Stout
03-10-2010, 10:37 AM
Hey Allen, I like the details on the b-fly, but I would clone out all the white specs on the wings. Great colors and BG.

Mike:
I suspect you were just kidding, but aren't those white spots 'scales' that have been dislodged from the white areas of the wing?

I don't know bugs well, but I think that is what is going on.

Randy

Richard Waas
03-10-2010, 06:28 PM
Randy, I like the idea of rotating the image as discussed and giving a bit more room on the right and bottom. A beautiful capture. You should be proud. TFS