Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation 0
ISO Speed 250
Lens EF500mm f/4L IS USM
Flash Off
FE lock OFF
White Balance Mode Auto
AF Mode AI Servo AF

Another shot taken shortly after dawn - boy it was cold out there.
All comments welcome.

Rob Miner
03-09-2010, 12:45 PM
What could have been better? Sharpening of the hare. Eliminating the light at top of frame. Waiting for the sun to come up - some light would have given definition to the subject. Slight head turn toward the photographer to give the viewer some connection to the subject. These are just suggestion for the next time you shoot a similar subject.

These suggestion may not cover what you wanted to find out. This is the second "Hare" picture you have submitted in a short time. When you took this picture, "what were you trying to accomplish? Do you think you succeeded? etc.

This is an honest inquiry. I am not trying to attack you, but learn from you.

Rob................

Jonathan Ashton
03-09-2010, 05:41 PM
What could have been better? Sharpening of the hare. Eliminating the light at top of frame. Waiting for the sun to come up - some light would have given definition to the subject. Slight head turn toward the photographer to give the viewer some connection to the subject. These are just suggestion for the next time you shoot a similar subject.

These suggestion may not cover what you wanted to find out. This is the second "Hare" picture you have submitted in a short time. When you took this picture, "what were you trying to accomplish? Do you think you succeeded? etc.

This is an honest inquiry. I am not trying to attack you, but learn from you.

Rob................

Rob, I don't take offence, the purpose of posting images is to share the enjoyment I obtained. I post the images because I enjoyed taking them and I think they portray accurately - for the most part, the scene as it was. I crop or clone to remove distracting objects but in terms of composition that is all I do.
I am hoping to get critique on how the image could be improved from a processing perspective as opposed to how the hare could be in a better position in better light etc. - the sad fact is that for most of the times the hares have not read the text book on how to pose and sit in perfect light etc . The day was cold and slightly misty - (just after dawn) that is why I did not over sharpen the hare. Yes I am always hoping to get better shots in better light with a better pose in a better position - hey it would be marvellous if I produced a perfect shot - but then what everything else would be less good! Don't worry if you don't like it that's fine, I hope I will post a better shot, all I did was to post a shot of the alert hare in really cold circumstances.
I agree with your suggestion regarding the monotonous white area at the top, maybe a little cloning here of the frosty out of focus grass beneath would help. Thanks for your comments I look forward to future ones.:)

Alfred Forns
03-09-2010, 07:20 PM
Hi Jonathan

I like the image and does convey a sense of cold, like the expression on the hare. If you have the room might give a little more, angle wise not sure if you could have gone up a bit to have the animal all in the darker bg? As is it does not bother me.

Do like the light as presented and find a place for all type of light. If given the chance would also shoot with more light but would not have the feel of this one. PS wise would select the eye only and sharpen, can do in a layer ... rest agree on leaving alone !!

Like it a lot and sure hope you came up with some more !!!

Rob Miner
03-09-2010, 07:21 PM
Jonathan,
Thank You for answering my query as to "Why or for what reason." It makes critiques much easier. My only suggestions for your picture is - increase canvass top and bottom and right side.

If I were more of an artist maybe I would try, "burning and dodgeing of the file to see what I could accomplish."

Rob.............

Alfred Forns
03-09-2010, 07:47 PM
... Rob .. . how are you able to tell if a person is more of an artist or not?

Fell free to upload the little critter and do your magic see what you come up with, as long as its not turned into a digital creation would be fine. We all learn from repost when they are meaningful.

Callie de Wet
03-10-2010, 12:13 AM
I really like the hare, its pose and then the eye. The whiskers, especially, are nicely displayed. A tad lower POV would improve the visual impact, but one canot always get down to ground level when in a car. I may delete the top beige band and replace it with a gradient layer in the same colour tone as the grayish blue BG. A tad more space in the front will also just moce the subject to a stronger focal point.

Sabyasachi Patra
03-10-2010, 12:25 AM
I agree that in this case a slightly higher angle would have been better, as you could have avoided the bright patch at the top. In this case, the nictitating membrane has half covered the eye. Hence, the eye looks soft.

All of us have our favourite subjects, be it a tiger or a bird or a flower etc. The more connected you are with your subject, the better would be the image.

I am taking the liberty to quote the great artist Michelangelo:

"In every block of marble I see a statue as plain as though it stood before me, shaped and perfect in attitude and action. I have only to hew away the rough walls that imprision the lovely apparition to reveal it to the other eyes as mine see it"

It is more important to visualise. A person should strive to create what he/she has visualised. If one choses to work with commonly available subjects like hare, deer etc so be it. In time, a lovely image can be created even from the commonly seen subject.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Steve Kaluski
03-10-2010, 07:08 AM
Hi Johnathan

Was this image from the same series that you took the other one from? If so, then a lot of comments made in one post regarding the 'tech' merits etc, IMHO are redundant, as any info gleaned on how to improve will not have been implemented.

For me:
- The Focus point is key for me. The point should be on the eye, as this is you 'portal' to the image(?)
- Shutter speed must be high, shooting at 1/160 ISO 250 why? Increase it to 400 to add more shutter speed
thus reducing any camera shake
- Use the DOF button, I think this camera has one(?) This will also help help.
- The composition is OK, slight tweak might help, but you have the basics I feel and this will improve in time.
- Try to compose your shot in camera avoiding your subject matter being too SMALL in the viewfinder, this will
again aid your output and avoid too big an enlargement, creating additional issues.
- Did you use a tripod? If not get one or use a bean bag to support the camera/lens. These are hefty bits of kit
and you need to steady yourself. Any movement will render the image useless and NO amount of sharpening
will help it!
- Bag hides are excellent for this work and helps you stay out of sight.

what were you trying to accomplish? Do you think you succeeded?

In my short time here I do not think I have read any thread stating 'goals & achievements' and whether that individual has fulfilled them, or not. We all go out possibly with something in mind, but I would think very few people even get close to what they had in mind. Personally, I feel that if you go out with an 'Agenda' you will not achieve it, and miss something even better. By all means go with knowing what you might like to photograph, but always keep your eyes open for something else that might come along. You might surprise yourself.:)

Steve

Jonathan Ashton
03-10-2010, 12:18 PM
Thank you so much everyone, I appreciate your comments and suggestions and will take them on board. The composition - I especially agree that white band does nothing to improve - trouble is I never noticed it! Same old problem can't wait to upload. Steve - fair point regard shutter speed/ISO, but I have this thing about the 50D, I try to keep below 400 to minimise noise, though I suspect I am unnecessarily paranoid about it. I will have another go taking into account all suggestions.

Jonathan Ashton
03-16-2010, 08:40 AM
Here is a reworked version taking on board suggestions provided.