PDA

View Full Version : Whitetail Doe

Don Thompson
03-08-2010, 08:20 PM
First post in this forum. Not quite as exotic as many posted here, but I took this tonight in a local park on my way home from work tonight. I usually pass on the does but I didn't see any bucks and I like the nice light and pose.

Except for slight crop for composition, a little exposure adjustment and sharpening, this is pretty much as it came out of the camera. Oh and noise reduction on the background.

40D with 100-400 @400mm, ISO 1600, f/5.6, 1/320, +2/3, AV mode

http://www.pbase.com/flyfishertoo/image/122594038/original.jpg

Alfred Forns
03-08-2010, 08:31 PM
Hi Don Big Welcome to Wildlife !!!!

For me this image is about feel it has it all over, light is soft, good pose and great eye contact !! I'm a firm believer of best available and glad you went after this one !! I would not have passed it up !!! ... btw like the tech settings very much !!!!!!!!!!

Steve Maxson
03-08-2010, 09:07 PM
A classic alert whitetail pose, Don. Good sharpness, light, and exposure. I like the inclusion of habitat in the background and that the deer stands out nicely from it. The deer is also nicely framed by the OOF foreground plants. Well done.

Sabyasachi Patra
03-09-2010, 02:17 AM
It is alarmed and stamping its feet. Tail is also up. Light is good. I agree with Alfred that any subject in good light will result in a nice image. So better to click if the light is good.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Robert Amoruso
03-09-2010, 07:49 AM
Don,

I agree with the others. Appears you have a slight magenta color cast.

Don Thompson
03-09-2010, 12:25 PM
Thanks everyone for your kind comments.

Robert, I admit my eyes aren't the best, particularly when it comes to color, but I don't see the color cast. On my monitor(s) her tail looks white.

I will take another look tonight from home. How would I identify the color and how would I remove?

Thanks again.

Robert Amoruso
03-09-2010, 01:18 PM
Don,

Actually, looks to be a red cast. I used levels and set a white point using the white eye dropper on the brightest part of the tail. Reposted with correction.

Don Thompson
03-09-2010, 06:36 PM
I would agree with the red cast. The picture was taken during the last 15 minutes or so of daylight and the light on the trees had a red cast to them.

Thanks for the suggestion and help.

Steve Maxson
03-09-2010, 09:48 PM
Hmmm. I prefer the original with the late-in-the-day reddish light. :)