PDA

View Full Version : 3D goose

Randy Stout
03-08-2010, 07:13 PM
Every once in a while, an image will jump out as having some special quality. It might be the action, light, pose, etc.

This one is of the most common subject, a Canada goose, but through some trick of lighting/BG it seems to have almost a 3D effect for me. I like the details in the wings and the pose.

D300 70-300 VR at 170mm f/7.1 1/2000 ISO 500 HH Manual metering

Curious if it gives the 3D effect for you?

Cheers

Randy

Kaustubh Deshpande
03-08-2010, 07:22 PM
Randy, totally agree with you. I think the effect is because of (a) the field of view of 170mm covering a lot of BG, (b) the angle of the bird and (c) the DOF( resulting out of combo of goose-to-camera distance, aperture, f-length and goose-to-trees distance).

We are just not used to seeing all these things together I guess. Very unique shot. Loved it.

Joel DeYoung
03-08-2010, 07:37 PM
I also agree. I like how the background is blurry yet you can still tell what it is. The goose is nice and sharp and framed well. Nice job. Is this at Kellogg?

Tony Whitehead
03-08-2010, 07:46 PM
Definitely get the 3D effect, Randy. Goose must have been pretty close. The light on the goose looks to be a different intensity to the BG which is what makes it leap forward in the image -almost looks as though you had some flash. Lovely image. Just goes to show what is achievable with a relatively cheap lens.

Gary Esman
03-08-2010, 07:54 PM
Yeah it does give the 3D thing. Most likely from the reflection off the snow. Does it need CCW? The trees look a little leaning to the right.

Karl Egressy
03-08-2010, 08:30 PM
Yes absolutely. It is three dimentional. It feels like the Goose is about to fly out of the frame. Great wing position and great details in the wing.

Randy Stout
03-08-2010, 08:36 PM
Guys:

This was shot at the Kellogg Bird Sanctuary this past weekend.

Gary, I think it is pretty level, if you look at the grass horizon line below.

No flash, but as Gary pointed out, there was some fill from the snow. It was fairly overcast when this frame was shot, but it still gave some fill.

Randy

Paul Lagasi
03-08-2010, 08:37 PM
Totally get the 3d, Randy...nice ..now tell me how to do this...lolol...I'd even like to see a Canada Goose up here, this winters been the pits for birds.....

Steve Maxson
03-08-2010, 08:43 PM
3D is very popular right now - maybe you can patent your technique. :) A good pose, sharp, and nice light on the bird, Randy. Looks like this bird has been grubbing some seeds or roots. Well done.

Jim Crosswell
03-08-2010, 08:54 PM
I like the 3D effect in this great flight capture. Well done Randy!

Ilija Dukovski
03-08-2010, 10:24 PM
Yes, very good 3D feel here. Great BIF image.

Kiran Poonacha
03-09-2010, 07:22 AM
Yeah bhai nice effect acheived, nice details and pose, I like this BG too..

Stu Bowie
03-09-2010, 09:39 AM
Randy, I like the slight banking angle, good detail on the goose, and he is certainly separated from the BG very well. Well captured.

Doug Brown
03-09-2010, 11:06 AM
I get the 3D appearance too Randy. Very sharp with excellent eye contact and wing position. I think the 3D look comes from the fact that you've got all of the bird in sharp focus, not just the head and/or one wing. The bird seems better illuminated than the BG, which also helps. A solid flight image! Perhaps a little more canvas at the bottom of the frame.

Markus Jais
03-09-2010, 04:14 PM
A fantastic flight shot of this goose. I like the 3D feeling you mentioned. Great wing pose. I like the visible BG here.

Markus

Randy Stout
03-09-2010, 05:14 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments. Always appreciated. Now if I can just duplicate this effect on demand, might be onto something!

Cheers

Randy