PDA

View Full Version : Hands off!

Vida van der Walt
03-08-2010, 10:51 AM
To me, that look almost seems to be saying "hands off, it is my worm bundle and I'm not sharing!".:) I took this shot a couple of months ago at the Botanical Gardens. The wasp came flying past and settled on a leaf a little distance away. I noticed the prey when I got closer and I had time for 2 shots before it took off again, still munching on what I suspect is a caterpillar or rather the remains of one.:) Hand held.
Canon 5D Mark11; MP E 65mm; MT 24EX
apert f16; ss1/200; iso 100
Crp, shrp, nr, lightened a couple of shadows to even out bg; lvls.

Allen Sparks
03-08-2010, 11:02 AM
great catch of him munching on his yummy snack. great detail and I like the angle and pose. I like the leaf edge and background too. great shot!

Kurtis Diffenbaugh
03-08-2010, 12:32 PM
That's a nice and sharp hand-held shot. The exposure, dof, placement in the frame, and etc all seem excellent to me. The only thing I might like a little more is a shot from a little lower angle.

Charles Wesley
03-08-2010, 12:42 PM
Vida,

Really love the colors, detail and composition on this one. Thanks for sharing...

Randy Stout
03-08-2010, 01:09 PM
Vida;

Very nice, as mentioned above. Interesting action, composition and techs. Well captured.

Randy

Julie Kenward
03-08-2010, 07:26 PM
Another winner, Vida. I do agree that a different angle might be stronger comp-wise but this one is diagonally placed and certainly works. Lovely detail and colors. You sure can hone in on those eyes!

Vida van der Walt
03-09-2010, 12:04 PM
Hi Allen, Kurtis, Charlie, Randy and Jules. Thank you all for looking and commenting. Much appreciated.:)

Ken Childs
03-09-2010, 12:11 PM
Another nice bug shot! A lower angle might have resulted in a better comp but these things usually don't stick around for long so you get what you can quickly get.

I always have problems with massive amounts of flash highlights when I shoot wasps because they are so reflective. Did you have to do much cloning to remove the highlights or isn't that as much of a problem with the macro flash?

Charissa
03-09-2010, 02:21 PM
Excellent sharpness and detail, as usual Vida. I would also have love to see it from a lower angle, but as u said, and we all know, they don,t wait around for us to get into a studio position. Food is a definite bonus, and glad i saw it after dinner, and not before. :-)))

Stu Bowie
03-10-2010, 03:31 AM
Hi Vida, the IQ in this is outstanding. Excellent DOF, sharp, and just love the way the wasp is holding onto his meal. How are those eyes.

Vida van der Walt
03-10-2010, 01:45 PM
Hi Ken, Charissa and Stu. Your comments are highly appreciated.:) Ken, I didn't find this wasp a big problem as the thorax is not as shiny and is finely textured. The eyes and wings were really the only shiny bits and I didn't have a lot of flash highlights to deal with. Some of the other insects are a big problem esp the beetles and tiny ants.