PDA

View Full Version : Herring Gull

Joe Senzatimore
03-08-2010, 10:43 AM
Trying someting different with the crop. Normally I would post this as a vertical but wanted to try to get away from the norm. Interested in any and all comments and views.
400ISO f5.6 at 1/3200th
Minus 1/3 EV

Grace Scalzo
03-08-2010, 11:41 AM
Joe, I love the horizontal treatment here. Nothing against the bird, but he's a little plain, and this allows the viewer to enjoy the beautiful colors of the water and the background. I do have a couple suggestions, one is to remove the small dust spot by his right wing, two is to tone down the perch, esp what appears to be white wash under his right foot, three, see if you can tease out some details from the black in his wings, and four, sharpen his head a bit more. Of course, 3 and 4 might be the result of jpeg compression, i cannot tell. I think that you took a common subject and created a very pleasing image.

Alan Murphy
03-08-2010, 12:08 PM
Hey Joe, the horizon lines lend this to a horizontal crop. Very nice. Wish for a natural perch.

Kaustubh Deshpande
03-08-2010, 12:46 PM
Grace pretty much covered everything. I liked the crop a lot. Since the bird is looking directly out of the frame, that space adds a lot.

Stu Bowie
03-08-2010, 01:47 PM
Comp works for me Joe, and just love those colours in the BG. Good detail on the gull, and what a great eye.

Joe Senzatimore
03-08-2010, 03:55 PM
Joe, I love the horizontal treatment here. Nothing against the bird, but he's a little plain, and this allows the viewer to enjoy the beautiful colors of the water and the background. I do have a couple suggestions, one is to remove the small dust spot by his right wing, two is to tone down the perch, esp what appears to be white wash under his right foot, three, see if you can tease out some details from the black in his wings, and four, sharpen his head a bit more. Of course, 3 and 4 might be the result of jpeg compression, i cannot tell. I think that you took a common subject and created a very pleasing image.

Yes Grace ,Ithink it is from compression. I posted it on PM as well and it looks sharper there. Don't know why!!!!