PDA

View Full Version : Vocal Frigate bird

Steve Kaluski
03-08-2010, 09:02 AM
A very vocal frigate bird during the 'courtship' period on one of the Galápagos islands. I felt the 'pano' crop works well, emphasising the big, bright, inflated pouch of the male and chattering bill.

Steve
MKIII 500f/4 f/11 1/250 ISO400 (Tripod/Wimberely head)

Deborah Hanson
03-08-2010, 09:43 AM
Unusual angle to have in an image - it's hard to get something different it seems. The detail in the red is well done and I can see very good detail in the blacks of the wing area close to the face. The background doesn't interfere with the subject and the greens play off nicely with the red and black. Eyes are nice as well.
However, I have never seen this bird so I was unsure of what I was seeing. I would love to see more of the bird.

Deb

Steve Kaluski
03-08-2010, 10:31 AM
I would love to see more of the bird.

Here you go Deborah, I trust this illustrates this rather unusual bird and my approach to the original post & crop, although he is rather menacing, extremely large and not something you wish to have in your 'backyard' :D

Steve

Stu Bowie
03-08-2010, 10:32 AM
Steve, well held on those reds, and a good symmetrical comp. I would maybe add a touch to the top.

Deborah Hanson
03-08-2010, 12:24 PM
Incredible bird. I really like the second image. You have detail in the blacks, sharpness of the beak/eye, and the red is striking against the black.

Thank you very much for the post!
Deb

arash_hazeghi
03-08-2010, 02:17 PM
what a crazy closeup and a strange looking bird! TFS!!!!