PDA

View Full Version : Sandwich tern

thijs broekkamp
03-07-2010, 03:37 PM
On the cape verde island I saw this sandwich terns on a little lake. I sneak up to them and took this picture.
Canon 30d with canon 300mm f4
5.6 1/1000

http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae54/thijsbroekkamp/Kaapverdie/IMG_7502bwrkt3srgb.jpg

Deborah Hanson
03-07-2010, 04:50 PM
I like the composition. The background is nicely done, as is the angle that you took the picture.
Even tho the sun angle looks high, the whites and grays are good.
If mine, I might crop a small amount of the out-of-focus grasses off the bottom.

It looks like you were able to capture a sweet moment.
Deb

Daniel Cadieux
03-08-2010, 02:41 PM
I like the low angle, and the habitat looks great. I would crop away most (if not all) of the dark band at bottom. Stopping down the aperture a bit more to get the second bird in focus as well would have been good. Exposure was dealt with as well as you could with what looks like harsh light.

thijs broekkamp
03-09-2010, 03:12 AM
Thank you for the comments!

I have this one also more cropped, but the quality of the picture is not that good anymore than. Is that because the 8 megapixels, that i can't crop to much?

Yes it was very harsh light, middle of the day

Daniel Cadieux
03-09-2010, 08:57 AM
Thijs, if this is a full-frame image (no previous cropping) with perfect sharpness (and subsequent sharpening) then yes you should be able to crop this one to suggested proportions. 8 megapixels is more than enough to crop a good chunk away, especially for web use.

*Remember, sharpening should be done on an image by image basis. Full-frame and cropped versions of the same scene are the same as different images and require different amounts of sharpening.