View Full Version : Blackrock Mtn- Shenandoah

Bob Miller
03-07-2010, 01:11 PM
Nikon d-300
12-24 Tokina at 12mm
.4 sec f/16
ISO200
New to this forum....hello!
Got to the top of these mountains just in time for the light show!
All comments welcome!

Robert Amoruso
03-08-2010, 12:27 PM
Bob,

I like the strong FG and having one rock in sunlight and one in shade. BG is pleaseing and light fantastic.

Overall image looks soft and lacking detail in those rocks. I propose the following.

Local COntrast Enhancement on BG copy using USM at 20/50/0 (my tutorial here http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20434). I then sharpened the image for JPG settings and reposted.

Roman Kurywczak
03-08-2010, 07:33 PM
Hi Bob,
Agree with Robert that you handled a tough lighting situation pretty well. I also like the way the clouds lead you into the scene and it frames the distant mountain. The tweaks definitely took it up another notch. Did you try any with just the LH rock formation? It also may work with just the 1 formation and the distant mountains if you get a chance to re-visit. Remember to explore many angles if the opportunity allows.....just some food for thought. Nicely done overall.

Bob Miller
03-08-2010, 10:51 PM
Hi Robert.....Thanks for your suggestions....like the repost very much! What do you mean exactly when you say that you sharpened for jpeg posting
Thanks again!

Morkel Erasmus
03-09-2010, 04:32 AM
lovely scene and light and Robert's repost is off the hook - that LCE is a beaut of a processing step for shots like this. welcome to this forum and we hope to see more of your fine shots.

Colin Knight
03-10-2010, 07:23 AM
That's where I grew up! Thanks for the wonderful image and the memories it brings!