PDA

View Full Version : Pinning Mom

Morkel Erasmus
03-06-2010, 03:30 PM
We spent a wonderful few minutes with this cub and her mother, before a sudden African storm sent us scuttling back to our lodge. This cub is called "Supercub", because she is the only cub in her litter - in which case they normally don't make it since the parents don't go to a lot of trouble to preserve one cub. She has however excelled and travels long distances on foot with the pride and stakes her claim as an official member, although she still is quite young.

Here she was playing with her mom, who got very agitated soon after this shot :). The light was darkish as the storm was building - and the D3s didn't disappoint at an ISO of 1250.

All comments most welcome...

Techs:
Nikon D3s with Nikkor 200-400mm VR @ 340mm
f4.0 @ 1/400 SS @ ISO-1250
cropped off about 35-40% around the edges

Stu Bowie
03-06-2010, 11:59 PM
The slightly protruding tongue, together with the eye contact puts this over the top mate. The softer light from the overcast conditions works well too. Well captured Mork.

Paul Taylor
03-07-2010, 12:41 AM
This appeals to me a lot. Presumably the look is partially due to the high ISO? Whatever, I really like the difference - softness suits the subject and the low key colours (I know that is not the right term but I don't want to say "dull"!!) are really attractive here, especially wth the super-pink tongue. Comp is spot on for me, although I like it with a bit off the top too. Apart from the tongue and look, I like the depression made my the mother in the ridge of sand and the paw print that leads to.... you couldn't have made up better details. I love the job you/the camera have done on the background but I think you might have lost some whiskers in the process (or just my eyes?) . Also once the eye goes to the paw print, you might note some apparent inconsistencies in the colour next to the mother's eye - but that might be how it was - can't tell at this res.

Steve Kaluski
03-07-2010, 04:36 AM
You are getting soft in your old age Morkel:D A good capture of interaction and the 'appearance' of the tongue just adds to the shot. Would also agree on a hint off the top, anymore foreground? BTW a very good friend has been shooting at ISO 4000 with unbelievable results!!! let me know if you want the link.:)

I love the job you/the camera have done on the background Paul it's called depth of field. By shooting almost wide open ie f4 or 5.6 with fixed lenses the BG becomes defused especially when the subject matter is a distance away from the BG.;) Don't see any colour changes near the eye, just natural markings:confused:

Nice one Morkel.

Steve

Paul Taylor
03-07-2010, 05:12 AM
Paul it's called depth of field. By shooting almost wide open ie f4 or 5.6 with fixed lenses the BG becomes defused especially when the subject matter is a distance away from the BG.;) Don't see any colour changes near the eye, just natural markings:confused:
Steve

Looking again you're right about the area near the eye. Sorry, Morkel.... I should be more careful. :o Depth of field? You mean the background can be diffused in camera? :eek: I had the impression Morkel might have done a little more to the background, which I really like either way, but I have another embarrassed smiley ready, just in case.

Steve Kaluski
03-07-2010, 05:24 AM
Paul, I am no expert :D with 'tech matters' leave that to those who do, but the bigger lens really do give excellent diffused BGs, especially the 'fixed' ones ie 300/500/600/800... and if you bolt on a 1.4 that even adds to it. Forget the soft focus 100-400:D

However, I could be wrong and Morkel did tweak the BG?:eek:

Paul we are ALL learning and continue to lean too;)

Steve:)

Morkel Erasmus
03-07-2010, 09:18 AM
thanks for the comments Paul & Steve...I didn't do anything additional to the BG.
this was shot with the 200-400 which certainly behaves more like a prime than a zoom :)

I have some FG but liked this crop more due to the ridges in the sand drawing the eye up front

lee bothma
03-07-2010, 09:37 AM
super shot man, the comp is strong and the detail is great! well done:)

Steve Kaluski
03-07-2010, 10:09 AM
I have some FG but liked this crop more due to the ridges in the sand drawing the eye up front

That's fine Morkel, I just feel that it might benefit from a tad more space at the foot, but you are the photographer.;)

Nate Chappell
03-07-2010, 07:29 PM
Excellent capture Morkel, the tongue and eye contact of the youngster make this special.:cool:

Callie de Wet
03-08-2010, 12:11 AM
I THINK YOU HAVE RUINED THE FRIENDSHIP:D
Very nice baby, for the expression. DOF is as can be expected with this lens, wee bir off on top will also work for me!

Austin Thomas
03-08-2010, 03:12 PM
Very nice Morkel,

The eye contact, tongue and the paw on mum makes for a great picture.
I would tone down or even desaturate the green vegetation LHS as it stands out from the lovely tonal range in the rest of the image.

tfs

Austin

Morkel Erasmus
03-08-2010, 04:56 PM
thank you very much for the kind comments everyone...

here is a repost with your suggestion of desaturating the greens, Austin!