PDA

View Full Version : Midway #3/The Insanity Continues...

Arthur Morris
03-06-2010, 11:58 AM
Gotta be brief. Canon 70-200mm f/4L IS lens with the 1.4X TC, a 12mm tube, and the EOS-1D MIV. ISO 500. Evaluative metering +2/3 stop: 1/200 sec. at f/11. Yes, the birds are tame.

Don't be shy; all comments welcome :)

Markus Jais
03-06-2010, 12:47 PM
Wonderful. I like the extreme close-up. The birds are really tame.
I only wish for a little more reflexion in the eye.

Markus

Morkel Erasmus
03-06-2010, 04:20 PM
interesting take here Artie...lovely tones and detail. which species is this?

Randy Stout
03-06-2010, 05:14 PM
Morkel:

Looks like another Laysan Albatross to me. They have lovely faces, real character.

Artie: For my taste, maybe 1/3 stop brighter, and or some subtle shadow work on the eye area. A bit of catchlight would give some spark to it.

Randy

John Chardine
03-06-2010, 08:57 PM
Beautiful Artie. I love intimate portraits like this. I would have framed to get a bit more of the top of the head in. Re. the eye, I agree, on my monitor it's a bit dark, but I played in Ps with some dodging (of whole eye and more on existing highlights) and burning (of pupil) and it brought it up nicely.

Arthur Morris
03-06-2010, 09:46 PM
Thanks all. I agree 100%. I have already lightened the eye and opened up the dark feathers around the eye. Both are black and I did not want to overdo it. The answer was a bit of fill flash but my 580EX II simply quit a few days ago... And yes, Laysan Albatross. There are more than one million of the on Midway. :)

Ilija Dukovski
03-06-2010, 11:35 PM
Ay, I wanna be there...
These birds are really something special.
They colors are so smooth and delicate...
The detail and mood of this image is perfect.
Waiting for more...:)

Kaustubh Deshpande
03-07-2010, 09:41 AM
Artie, liked the texture you have captured. feathers and the beak both. On crop, I am with John...a little more on the top side.

Arthur Morris
03-07-2010, 10:37 AM
Artie, liked the texture you have captured. feathers and the beak both. On crop, I am with John...a little more on the top side.

Thanks again all for sharing your thoughts. As for the crop, I am loving it as is. I have lots of wider images but here I wanted to show off the beautiful colors at the base of the beak. Inlcuding more white above would draw the viewer's eye. :)