PDA

View Full Version : Very Alert

Stu Bowie
03-06-2010, 09:39 AM
I went to the nature reserve close to my house this morning and came away with inquisitive mongoose. They had run down the road ahead of me, and then darted into this small ditch next to the road. I managed to get a clear shot between the two upright blades of grass. I like how the grass framed them nicely. Pity the other one wasnt in the full DOF. I cloned in his right eye from the left, as it didnt look too good in capture. Also blurred the BG to make the little guys pop a little more.

Canon 50D
100-400 @ 400mm
1/500
F/6.3
ISO 400

Exp Comp +0.33
Hand held from the car.

Sabyasachi Patra
03-06-2010, 12:38 PM
Good to have a nature reserve close by. Here I have to drive several hundred miles to reach one. :-(

I like the curious pose. Pity that the one at the back was not paying attention. :-) I wish you had got vegetation at the right side. At the moment the open red patch attracts attention. Which species of mongoose is this?

The mongoose in India are hunted for their hair. Their fine hair are used in the paint brushes. At the moment it is banned though.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Morkel Erasmus
03-06-2010, 03:19 PM
this is the yellow mongoose, Sabyasachi :) luckily here they aren't hunted per se, but many poultry farmers view them as vermin...

like this shot mate, good job on the eye and blurring the BG, although I think I see some evidence on the LHS mongoose? the one with the stare pops nicely

Paul Taylor
03-07-2010, 12:51 AM
Precision catch between the grass stalks! Framing idea works for me, although I also agree the red patch is out of place and it's a pity about the one in the background.

Gabi Sandu
03-07-2010, 02:19 AM
Funny subject. Great eye contact, very well composed. I like too how the grass framed the subject.

Stu Bowie
03-07-2010, 01:02 PM
Thank you all for the feedback and comments. Much appreciated.

Nate Chappell
03-07-2010, 07:31 PM
The standing fellow carries the day here for me, a fun shot Stuart.:)

Callie de Wet
03-08-2010, 12:15 AM
A lovely pose from the mongoose in the front, and I concur with the comment on the second. A nice, softish frame for the pair , created by the grass. Must get to Rietvlei again, been years since I was there.

Vida van der Walt
03-08-2010, 12:32 PM
Adorable little creatures and a great capture Stu. Love the pose and ditto on the framing.:)

Austin Thomas
03-08-2010, 03:06 PM
The stare carries this one Stuart and I think the improvements have already been mentioned.

I wish for such a nature reserve so close to home.

Cheers

Austin

Stu Bowie
03-09-2010, 11:56 PM
Nate, Callie, Vida, Austin, thanks for your much appreciated comments.