PDA

View Full Version : Sunset over Zanzibar

Billy White
03-05-2010, 05:56 PM
shot taken from Mnemba Island as the sun sets over Zanzibar before reaching the coast of Africa - my wife and I have never seen sunsets anywhere in the world like here - green skies each night but unfortunately for photography they serve a bottle of champagne each evening before sunset

taken in 2006 Nikon D2x 17-55mm at 35mm 1/25 f8

I cropped off some sand at the bottom - and wonder about only showing the water -

comments

thanks

Bill

Robert Amoruso
03-05-2010, 07:06 PM
Bill,

Great geometric pattern in the sky and the symmetrical composition is just right for me. I would suggest that cropping off the sand and going for water only would be better. Ideally waling closer to the water's edge and using a much slower shutter speed to give the water a silky look would be a good idea from my personal perspective.

Nice work and welcome to BPN and the landscape forum.

Morkel Erasmus
03-06-2010, 02:32 AM
some nice suggestions by Robert (:o). African sunsets are awesome. love the pattern of the light.
welcome here and keep them coming...

Robert Amoruso
03-06-2010, 08:33 AM
some nice suggestions by Roman. African sunsets are awesome. love the pattern of the light.
welcome here and keep them coming...

Robert!!!

Morkel Erasmus
03-06-2010, 09:52 AM
oops sorry my bad :) was running 2 threads simultaneously...will have to check if I called Roman Robert on the other thread ;)

Billy White
03-06-2010, 05:22 PM
Robert

I agree 100% - I will post another from this island - it would help to not drink great champagne prior to shooting - maybe not! - thanks again for the suggestions

Bill

Harold Davis
03-06-2010, 07:38 PM
i was thinking the same thing. would be nice to see more of the water without the beach.. love the rays!! and the colors look great!!!!

Roman Kurywczak
03-06-2010, 08:54 PM
Hey Bill,
I was thinking the same thing as Robert (maybe Morkel thought it was me because of that:)) . VG advice and I think this will make it more powerful. Nicely done

Julie Kenward
03-07-2010, 08:21 AM
That is one incredible sunset Billy! I agree that either the sand in the FG needs to be evened out or eliminated altogether. Slowing down the ss would also be nice to make the water as fluid as the sunset itself. Still, an awesome image!