PDA

View Full Version : signing prints

John Chardine
03-05-2010, 03:31 PM
I am doing some early preparation for my first exhibition in September of this year. I will be in a local gallery with artists using a variety of media and the theme will be birds- what else?! A couple of the artists are quite well known and the gallery carries some very nice stuff- it's all a bit daunting for me and of course what I produce has to be, and will be as professional as I can make it.

One question that came up with the gallery owner is the issue of signing photographic prints. Some of "her" artists sign on the back while others sign, date and title on the white margin across the bottom of the image. I said I would ask my friends at BPN. So could you let me know how you do it, what you write, with what writing utensil, and where.

Many thanks!

Roger Clark
03-05-2010, 09:26 PM
John,
I embed my signature and copyright into the image file so it gets printed when the image is printed. But I personally dislike signatures on images, for example huge signatures in silver ink on the print. I make my signatures small and choose a color that makes it not too obvious. If you have the fall 2004 issue of Nature's Best, there is a full page image on page 21 that has my signature on it. I sent them the wrong file and and offered to send another without the signature but they said it was fine as is.

For example, on about a 16x20-inch print, I will make the signature about 12-point font, and 30x40 perhaps 16-point.

Roger

Stephen Stephen
03-06-2010, 06:39 AM
Hi John,

Unlike Roger I do sign my prints manually but I do keep the signature small. I usually use Prismacolor Premier "Metallic Gold" or Pentel "Super Gold" Markers. The size of nib used depends on the size if print but I normally have both Medium or Fine tips on hand.

I always store my pens flat And in a ziplock bag so that the nibs will have less chance of clogging and drying up.

I do have silver pens as well but I find that the gold is more subtle for most images.

Deborah Hanson
03-06-2010, 08:54 AM
I don't sign mine because I am not at that level of photography (yet).:D
However, this is a piece of artwork and most artwork has the name of the artist so that everyone can know and can appreciate their work. I would want the artists name on the front to see, but that's me.
If they are standing there, can you ask what they would prefer. Or is that not done?
Deb

Congrats on exhibition.

Roger Clark
03-06-2010, 10:15 AM
Deb,
My view is that prints are like the web. If your name is not on it, someone can scan or photograph the print and claim it is theirs. If the signature is on the mat, someone can change the mat and add their own signature. Or someone may simply want to change a mat for better color in a different location and then one would lose the signature if it was on the mat. If the signature is on the print it is harder to lose/hide.

But I do feel people buy images, not a signature so the signature should not catch your eye. The viewer's eyes should be drawn into the subject in the print, not distracted by the signature.

Roger

Sandra Nykerk
03-06-2010, 10:24 AM
John, I sign my prints in the traditional "gallery way." Which actually means one of two ways. If I am personally matting the print for framing, I will sign the back of the print with an archival pen, usually a gray one, and in the bottom margin of the print where it will not ever bleed through into the image area (which an archival pen should never do). Then I will also sign the mat, just below the opening on the right side, and with a #2 (or equivalent) pencil. I actually like to use a mechanical pencil because the sharpness of the lead stays consistent. Some photographers will also add a title to the front of the mat on the left side, but I usually do not.

If I am selling just the print that the client is going to mat themselves, then I will sign the print on the front, but below the image in the right bottom margin, with the same gray archival pen, allowing just enough room for the mat opening to include a white border with the signature around the print. I still want the signature to look as "traditional" as possible and I tried many different gray artist markers until I found the one I wanted, which mimicked the look and feel of a traditional pencil signature.

I do not sign the front of the print within the image either manually or digitally, as I feel it detracts from the integrity of the image. And a digital signature, no matter where on the print, does not carry the same "cache" from a gallery or collector's perspective as the actual artist signature, since anyone can "digitally sign" a print. The galleries whose clientele includes serious collectors do not consider this a "true" artist's mark.

The only exception to the above is if I am posting something to the web that I want to look faux framed. I have on one occasion then added a faux mat and digital signature.

HTH. Congratulations on your upcoming exhibit -- a very exciting time!

Sandra

Sabyasachi Patra
03-06-2010, 01:07 PM
I was told that without signature on top, buyers wont buy. Hence, I sign on the print at the bottom right corner in silver as well as gold, depending upon the image.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Richard Stern
03-07-2010, 07:34 AM
I had a small exhibition of bird prints at our local rep. theater last year - all were of local birds here in the Annapolis Valley. I was advised that a real signature makes the print worth more than an electronic one. So I too signed the bottom R.hand corner of each print with a gold marker, before having them framed. I sold 5 out of the 20 exhibited, all to locals. But I don't think that qualifies me as a "professional!".

Richard

Paul Lagasi
03-07-2010, 12:29 PM
I don't sell my prints but have shown a few at a local shop...given away a few to family. I always digitally sign then in bottom right, using Edwardian Script....lolol..too much info

Ed Cordes
03-10-2010, 08:47 PM
At one time I sold unsigned prints to friends and at art fairs. Many people requested my signature on the print. I now place my name and copyright on the bottom of the image in a reasonably small font during printing. Customers like it better than no signature at all.

John Chardine
03-10-2010, 08:50 PM
Many thanks for all of the replies so far. I think what I will do is personally sign each print in the white bottom margin, using a pencil or some other subtle utensil. I think I will include the year and a title as well.