PDA

View Full Version : Egmont Island - iR2

Michael Pancier
03-05-2010, 01:38 PM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4009/4403180571_4ec30153f1_o.jpg

Another IR shot from my cloudy day on the island.

20d+10-22; Shot at 1/20; f/16; ISO 100 on tripod
processed using Topaz Adjust 4 to bring out detail and contrast; and Nik Viveza 2 for dodging and burning.

Robert Amoruso
03-05-2010, 07:24 PM
Michael,

Overall I like the comp. I feel I would have preferred the downed tree to be more left in the frame to lead the eye into the BG better. Now I kind of get stuck in the area from the left image edge to the trees roots. On the right I am guessing that the tree is clipped some as you have more trees on the right out of frame. If that is the case, you did the best you can.

To me, this image screams high-contrast. In the repost I ran a High Pass filter at 4 pixel radius - basically local contrast enhancement. For my taste I like it, but what you think is what matters.

Would have been nice to have another tree in the left BG. But all in all, I like this. The FG is particularly interested and the sand/rock patterns are a good leading line into the image.

Morkel Erasmus
03-06-2010, 02:34 AM
Michael it's an interesting scene and I like the feel you got, but I like the high contrast version that Robert posted a bit more, as the finer details are enhanced. I also like the high-key-ish sky.

Harold Davis
03-06-2010, 07:40 PM
another vote for the repost! does look better with the added contrast. this is one that the tonal contrast filter in nik would work great for. nice work with the compo, mike. i like the dead tree in the fg.

Roman Kurywczak
03-06-2010, 08:47 PM
Hey Michael,
I think B&W's usually work best in higher contrast....so another vote for the re-post. I have debated the RH trees....but they do sort of balance the image more.....so I feel keep them.

Julie Kenward
03-07-2010, 08:25 AM
When I first opened this I thought "needs a bit of contrast" but then I sort of fell in love with it as it was. Then I saw Robert's repost and realized they both have their merits. I, too, would have liked the fallen tree more horizontally placed ending further left to balance against the two trees on the right but I do really like this - it feels very natural and nature is not always perfect!