PDA

View Full Version : Weary Contemplation

Katie Rupp
02-24-2008, 10:55 AM
Huddled against the early morning chill air, this Yellow-crowned Night Heron brought to mind an image of a great Indian Chief. The original is quieter, have I over-processed? He was downslope and looking at it now, I think I should have gotten lower?

Taken in Puerto Vallarta
Canon 40D, 100-400
400mm
AV
f5.6
1/40
ISO 200
Eval -1/3

Thanks in advance for feedback.

LeeOtsubo
02-24-2008, 11:11 AM
Katie,
This is wonderful. I've never seen a bird in this pose. The divide between the grass and water acts as a perfect leading line into and out of the photo. I'd like a little more on the right side simply because I wonder if there's more there but for most viewers, the line will guide them right through without even seeing the lower right.

I think your angle (elevation) is perfect. Getting lower would have lost that hunched over, contemplative mood. I'd have to see the original to know which I prefer but I don't think the PP is overdone on this one. I'm jealous, this is a super keeper.

Alfred Forns
02-24-2008, 12:04 PM
Hi Katie Peculiar pose for a Night Crown

Sure wish you could have moved a little so the head of the bird was not on the grass line Also a more room at bottom and right would have been in order

Processing wise there is something going on I don't see crisp feather detail and the blacks on the head are blocked I you email the full image might be interesting to see if there would be much difference Also as in others a better head angle would have helped !!!

LeeOtsubo
02-24-2008, 12:45 PM
Hi Katie (& Alfred),
Just to clarify why there may be widely disparate critiques. Alfred is correct that the photo would have been better with the head above the grass line. My feedback comes from the fact that I had never seen a bird in that pose so I would grab the shot first and then work it. By going higher or lower, I think you would have lost the overall mood of the photo.

Were you able to work the scene? Did you take multiple photos until the bird (or your friends) got tired and left? I think that may help get better composition. If nothing else, it will give you extra bits and pieces to clone in if you're missing a wingtip or feather or foot.

Katie Rupp
02-24-2008, 01:03 PM
Lee and Al,
Thank you both for your feedback. I did have time to work the subject, BUT at that time I didn't have enough knowledge to even think about the head and the grassline...now, thanks to BPN, I have a much more critical eye and while I was processing it, I realized the grassline, especially at the beak, was a distraction. I did take multiple shots but only kept the best one (I'm trying to edit more ruthlessly). I really like this photo but I'm not entirely happy with my final result. So much to learn and so much fun! Al, thanks for your offer, I emailed the original to you.
Katie

Alfred Forns
02-24-2008, 01:13 PM
Got the original and here it is Katie Just did the basic levels curves very slight saturation (de saturated the green) and sharpened Was the original shot in RAW?

......btw that bird needs hair care in a bad way !!!!!

Katie Rupp
02-24-2008, 01:37 PM
Thanks, I confess, I have been shooting JPEG's but I am committed to the switch to RAW.

Alfred Forns
02-24-2008, 02:22 PM
Do so asap !!!! Remember when the image is compressed you throw out lots of information Will be working in 8 bit which will not give you as smooth tonal changes plus lots of other things !!!! Converting is not difficult at all !!!

Jim Poor
02-24-2008, 02:51 PM
I like this a lot. I definitely see the Indian chief analogy!

LeeOtsubo
02-24-2008, 03:00 PM
OK, kinda sloppy but you get the idea.

Alfred Forns
02-24-2008, 05:04 PM
Ahhh the old grass trick !!!! That is one way Lee:) I was thinking if you move around a bit the without doing so up/down You could alter the relationship to the slope

Also don't think you could alter much that strange pose :):)

wendell westfall
02-24-2008, 09:59 PM
Katie, I second Al's recommendation to switch to RAW -- it's easy. I had used JPEG from the time I started digital photography not so long ago. But then he suggested (strongly!) that I switch to RAW. I've never thanked him, so I'll take the opportunity to do it here. Even I can see a positive difference in my work.

Wendell

Jason Vaclavek
02-25-2008, 01:37 AM
Very Unique photo.
Nice work.

Gus Cobos
03-20-2008, 07:53 AM
Hi Katie,
Love your photo... Its different from the every day run of the mill...:D:D:D

Keep them coming...:)

Gus...:cool: