PDA

View Full Version : Another Scaup photo. Better than yesterday's?

Kaustubh Deshpande
03-04-2010, 11:32 PM
http://gallery.photo.net/photo/10765120-lg.jpg

I went back to the same place today. Water was calmer and sun brighter. BG is reflection of brown trees lit by the setting sun. This is a few minutes before sunset in very warm light. I was on a pier that cast a shadow on the duck. I waited for its head to come into the sunlight. Processed it for more pop( didn't have to do much actually:-) and more room below based on yesterday's suggestions. Let me know if you feel NR is needed. I haven't done any even on the BG.

40D. 400f5.6 at f/6.3. iso 400. 1/200s. supported by the pier platform.

Thx for looking.

Stu Bowie
03-05-2010, 12:10 AM
Kaustubh, I prefer the angle in this to your previous one, more for the HA. I also feel you have exposed this better, and the detail is there. Love the droplets on the neck, and the colours in the BG are stunning. Regarding NR, even if it doesnt need any, using a small amount always smoothens it out, to "polish" it off.

Kaustubh Deshpande
03-05-2010, 12:27 AM
Stuart, I agree with the better exposure in this one. Light was way better today. Here is the photo with the Scaup in shade. Unfortunately, it did not come out very sharp. camera shake. At this size, it does look okay though. This is the more traditional duck 'field guide' pose and perfect HA for that.

http://gallery.photo.net/photo/10765235-lg.jpg

Stu Bowie
03-05-2010, 12:47 AM
Kaustubh, the light on the Scaup in your OP just shows how we depend on light, when you see your second version in the shade. Yep, its all about the light.

Kiran Poonacha
03-05-2010, 02:23 AM
Beautiful looking duck bhai, Loved the effect of the light falling on its head and the water droplets too..

arash_hazeghi
03-05-2010, 04:37 AM
Beautiful Kaustubh, like the SH and details, sweet light too.

Ofer Levy
03-05-2010, 09:17 AM
Excellent shot!! Awesome light, colours, BG and shooting angle. The fact that most of the body is in the shade weakens this a bit but still an awesome shot.

Jim Crosswell
03-05-2010, 09:40 AM
I like the lighting you captured here. The water drops on the neck really add to this beautiful image.

Dave Leroy
03-05-2010, 10:31 AM
I like this one better than yesterday's post.
Although both ss and aperature are set for less light, this one is sharper. Perhaps resting on the dock is the diff.
Also I like how in this one the bird is coming toward us rather than going away in the other photo.
Again really like the job done with the nice light.
Good for you to go back again and well done.

Kaustubh Deshpande
03-05-2010, 10:37 AM
Thx everyone. I looked more carefully today at orig 100% of yesterday's shots and the one in shade today. More than camera shake, looks like subject shake. The ducks were swimming. definitely so in the shade image in this thread. Should have bumped up the ISO.

Danny Laredo
03-05-2010, 05:39 PM
Love the colors and light in this one. Excellent detail as well.

vikrant kane
03-06-2010, 11:09 AM
Beautiful Kaustubh
Love the details and the droplets are adding magic to the picture. I always guff up when it comes to exposure especially black&white bird/Duck but you manage the exposure very well.