PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow Lakes

Dave Blinder
03-04-2010, 10:00 AM
First of all, no rainbows here, it's just the name of the area!

Parsippany, NJ

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4060/4387400593_55f0f977bf_o.jpg

Handheld, Canon 10-22mm, Aperture Priority
Camera: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
Exposure: 0.008 sec (1/125)
Aperture: f/10.0
Focal Length: 10 mm
Exposure Bias: +4/3 EV
ISO Speed: 200

I cleaned up some dirty areas of snow, played with Curves a bit to bring up the blacks and whites, and added a slight Vignette. I'm not sure if this scene is too basic to really bring viewers back... but then again I really like the isolated twigs in the foreground.

Thoughts?
- Dave

Roman Kurywczak
03-05-2010, 11:39 AM
Hey Dave,
Makes me glad I'm in Florida (although it was in the upper 30's this am). I think the V shape of the shoreline is nice and the twigs in the FG....although not my favorite subject.....do add some interest. As the light was flat it doesn't give much detail in the snow but for me the RH side structures....take away from the image completely as they are just too busy. I did try to think of something to eliminate that.....but couldn't think of one. Let's see if others chime in.

Robert Amoruso
03-05-2010, 07:19 PM
Dave,

I agree with Roman that the V is a strong element in the image. I feel the modern homes and boats lessen the impact of this image as a landscape. My feeling a better approach here would be going from macro to micro and concentrating on the branches and it possible, working the V ice pattern into the comp. Can't really tell from the image how that might have worked - you have to be there. But if you can, try to consider other options and head back out that way.

Connie Mier
03-07-2010, 06:40 PM
I second Roman's comment about Florida. :) But I do really like snow scenes, including this one. One thing that bugs me about it though, is the uneven horizon line in the distance. I see that the house on the right is even but this is one of those scenes where I think the eyes dictate where the horizontal line really is and my eyes want that distant horizon to be horizontal. Might be worth playing with.