PDA

View Full Version : Hairy Woodpecker

Steve Maxson
03-04-2010, 09:34 AM
This male Hairy Woodpecker was photographed at a suet feeder setup. 7D, 500 f/4 + 1.4X, 1/1600, f/6.3, ISO 400, NR on background. I removed some small bits of suet. All comments welcome and appreciated.

Jean Chang
03-04-2010, 10:56 AM
I love this classic woodpecker pose. Perfect sharpness and contrast, but it's a little dark overall on my monitor.

Dave Leroy
03-04-2010, 11:13 AM
A very nice photo with lots of detail.
I especially like how you handled the whites and the blacks.
It does seems a bit cool on my monitor and wonder if a there is a bit of blue cast or if some warming up would make an improvement.
Dave

Rob Miner
03-04-2010, 11:32 AM
I agree the bkgrn is a little dark - to seperate the bird from the bkgrn. Depending on use - pict could use more canvass. Cropping on the perch leaves one wondering what is on the other side.

Other wise great picture - sharpness, color and exposure is on the money.

Rob...............

Steve Maxson
03-04-2010, 12:24 PM
Thanks for your comments folks. Here is a modified version in which I warmed up the color tones and brightened the image overall.

Stu Bowie
03-04-2010, 12:36 PM
Steve, excellent exposure on those blacks and whites, and I like the contrast there too. Comp wise, Im still debating if you should bring it in a tad from the left, so as not to show a wide perch. I had a look in PS, and there was a slight blue cast. Apart from that, I like your OP as is.

Steve Maxson
03-04-2010, 12:40 PM
I agree the bkgrn is a little dark - to seperate the bird from the bkgrn. Depending on use - pict could use more canvass. Cropping on the perch leaves one wondering what is on the other side.

Other wise great picture - sharpness, color and exposure is on the money.

Rob...............
Thanks for your comments, Rob. I do have more room in the original showing the entire width of the perch and a little open space beyond. One of the reasons I cropped, as presented, was that in previous woodpecker posts of mine, some folks have commented that they preferred not to see what was on the other side. :) :) Different viewpoints I guess.

Axel Hildebrandt
03-04-2010, 01:42 PM
Angle, eye contact, sharpness and BG look very good. I would crop a tad off the left and give it more room on the left and maybe at the bottom.

Steve Canuel
03-04-2010, 09:01 PM
Hi Steve,
I like the color tone of this image and the little splash of color provided by the patch of red. Nice detail as well. Doesn't seem possible to hold on with that grip! Personally prefer the original.