PDA

View Full Version : Dying Gerbera Daisy

Mike Moats
03-04-2010, 08:34 AM
Watched this Gerbera Daisy slowly wilt over the last couple days, and figured it was time to take a shot. White foam core for the BG.

Fuji S5, Tamro 60mm f/22, 2sec, natural light, tripod

Allen Sparks
03-04-2010, 09:49 AM
Mike, I like the curled petals, the color tones of the flower, and the other flower details. Nice DOF. The background is a bit bright for my taste.

Charles Wesley
03-04-2010, 12:50 PM
Mike,

I like the pink green color contrast. The composition is right on. The BG Is fine with me...

Nick Palmieri
03-04-2010, 01:15 PM
This really has a nice feeling. I like the white BG. I like the way the stem and the pedals sort of fade into the BG. The colors of the pedals are very nice and the detail is perfect. TFS.

Indranil Sircar
03-04-2010, 01:40 PM
Beautiful composition, Mike. I like the perspective and works really well with those curled petals and the bg.

Mike Moats
03-04-2010, 03:01 PM
Thanks all for comment, white backgrounds as with black backgrounds are always a personal taste, some like em some don't. I like the white BGs but don't care for black BG, some people go the other way.
Nick, glad you noticed the fade, that was my idea to expose the image to the point of this slight fade into the white.

Thanks all

Anita Bower
03-05-2010, 07:21 AM
Love it! The angle of the flower, how it fills the frame, the colors, the white bg, the curling petals! Everything works for me. :)

How did you manage to get the back petals to fade into the BG? You write that you thought of that as you exposed it. I would have thought the entire flower would be lighter.

Ken Childs
03-05-2010, 07:40 AM
Mike, this is excellent. The soft colors and your exposure works well with the white BG. I'm not fond of white BG's but this one works for me.

Stuart Frohm
03-05-2010, 08:42 AM
Not surprisingly, this is yet another gem.
The fading is effective.
I like the cropping.
The background is not too bright for me.
Bravo!
And although you mention you don't like black backgrounds, Mike, I would enjoy seeing a similar image with a dark background.

Charles Wesley
03-05-2010, 09:21 AM
Mike,

Thanks for your comments on BG's. I like both black & white ones depending on the flower. My photo instructor preached that black BG's forces your eye on the subject.

I will get out the foam core and try to replicate something similar to your results. Like Anita's question. Mike thanks for your hard work on this forum...

Vida van der Walt
03-06-2010, 02:42 AM
Love this Mike. Great comp and really like the curl of the petals. I like both white and black backgrounds when used with flowers. Looking at the soft pastel colours of the flower, I think you made the right choice going with the white bg.:)

Roman Kurywczak
03-16-2010, 04:30 PM
Huge fan of this one Mike.......love the high key look and great use of subject!